Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hello.
Doug68

posted on 23/10/06 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Hello.

Just found this group and I think that I might have found my home on the web.
Its good to know I’m not the only person out there as sane as I am!
Attached is picture of the plan to date, there’s a whole lot of work still to do!

One thing I thought I’d share with the world straight off the bat is a program called framework from:

http://home.wanadoo.nl/wolsink/

It’s a free linear stress analysis tool which I’ve been making a lot of use of and I’m sure saved me from producing a wobbly old piece of junk even before I’ve started.

Doug. Rescued attachment RearViewReduced.jpg
Rescued attachment RearViewReduced.jpg

ReMan

posted on 23/10/06 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Greetings, the "plan so far" looks great, Theres plenty of peeps here with middy advice, check out the posts, welcome aboard.
Regards
Colin

nick205

posted on 23/10/06 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome abourd Doug

Looks like you're planning a serious build from your plans. You should find plenty of help and information floating about on these pages along with a bit of humour and general banter too

ecosse

posted on 23/10/06 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Hi and welcome

Like the design, looks good, what software did you use to produce the pic?

Cheers

Alex

Doug68

posted on 23/10/06 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Thankfully I have access to quite a few CAE programs through work, this started off MicroStation (Similar to AutoCAD) but that was a royal pain to control the design.
What you see here was done with Solid Edge which being a proper solid modeller is just right for the task.

At some point I’ll need to learn Blender or some such for doing the arty body stuff but that’s a way down the road. It’s always been in my mind that the body should be a reflection of what’s going on underneath it rather than being a silly shape drawn first into which everything else then has to be jammed.

Attached is one of the early MicroStation goes at a body, just to see if was possible to do something that didn’t look silly with the mechanicals I had in mind. Rescued attachment Front.jpg
Rescued attachment Front.jpg

RazMan

posted on 23/10/06 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Greetings Doug

Love the design - has certain similarities to mine.
Rescued attachment Rolling Chassis.jpg
Rescued attachment Rolling Chassis.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 23/10/06 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
That is one BIG bike!
Can you make it a similar size to our cars, only I've only got a 17" monitor

Lovely

[Edited on 23/10/06 by ReMan]

Hellfire

posted on 23/10/06 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
That any better

ReMan

posted on 23/10/06 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
That's lovely Hellfire, but it was the avatar that was as big as the pic that was the problem!, he's fixed that now
But nevertheless its nice to see the pic without scrolling too

Anybody else keep getting a security warning with this thread too?

iank

posted on 23/10/06 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Anybody else keep getting a security warning with this thread too?

Aye, same here

Doug68

posted on 23/10/06 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Oops my avtar is on an HTTPS address will need to fix that and reduce the size of my pictures in future!

Sorry I'm a resolution junkie.

suparuss

posted on 23/10/06 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
nice one, the more the merrier! nice looking project to follow. i think most on here share your outlook by designing the bodywork to suit the car and not the other way round so you should fit right in.

Russ.

Fred W B

posted on 23/10/06 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome from me too. Chassis looks really sensible.

I also did the chassis/running gear first, then looked for bodies to fit. Turns out my wheelbase matched a Lola T70, so I've made a lot of work for myself

Cheers

Fred W B

TheGecko

posted on 23/10/06 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
G'day Doug,

Welcome to what may be the most active forum for scratch-built mid-engined cars on the net.

I'm slowly (oh, so very slowly) building a middy clubman with a 20-valve Corolla drivetrain. Rough chassis and body designs are attached. Where in Aus are you? I'm in Brisbane.

Dominic

Chassis model 3 - incomplete
Chassis model 3 - incomplete

Gecko model with silver sides
Gecko model with silver sides

Doug68

posted on 23/10/06 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in Perth.
Doing this sort of thing in Aus has it's own challenges with all the daft rules we have to deal with.
Have you read the National code of Practice that I think all of the states are working to now?

Doug.

TheGecko

posted on 24/10/06 at 02:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doug68
Doing this sort of thing in Aus has it's own challenges with all the daft rules we have to deal with.
Have you read the National code of Practice that I think all of the states are working to now?

Doug,

The NCoP would be great if the states were actually required to follow it. In actuality, Queensland sets somewhat more stringent rules to meet, particularly with regard to emissions compliance The bottom line is that my engine will need to meet whatever emissions spec was in place 5 years before my initial registration date. So, if I get it finished and ready for rego by 1 Jan 2008 (I wish) I need to meet Jan '03 ADR's for emissions - ie ADR79/00! Westfield Sports Cars Australia (the east coast ones, not the "other" Westfield who're in your part of the country) offer an ECU "fix" for the silvertop motor. ADR79 compliance can be mine for only AU$1000 ! Guess who's searching for another motor

For plenty of discussion on Australian specific issues, it's worth joining both the Locost_Oz Yahoo group (http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Locost_Oz/) and OzClubbies (http://www.oz-clubbies.com/phpBB2/). Unfortunately, new members can't register on OzClubbies at present although the administrator hopes to have it fixed soon.

There's a variety of clubman and other builders in Perth and I'm sure they'll make themselves known if you introduce yourself on Locost_Oz.

Dominic

thomas4age

posted on 24/10/06 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Doug,

You aren't perhaps on the lextreme forums aren't you? I'm striker over there.

nice design looks a little factory Five and RCR-P combi to me but still very nice!

what type is a boxter transmission? I've been offered a 968 type 6 speed porsche box? but I don't know anything about it

grtz Thomas

ps same plans on this side of the world!

[Edited on 24/10/06 by thomas4age]

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

geoffreyh

posted on 24/10/06 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thomas: A boxter and a Cayman are the only mid engined Porsches around right now. The others are rear engined.

I don't know the strength of the boxter/cayman transmission but it has been designed to be used for a mid engined car without having to turn it around like the other porsche transmissions.

DIY Si

posted on 24/10/06 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
I thought the porsche boxes allowed you to put the engine much lower due to flipping the box round? I'm also currently looking at doing something along this line with a jag V8.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Doug68

posted on 25/10/06 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
Boxster trans.

The transmission I have is manual 5 speed unit from the original Boxster model.
I would have gone for a G50 but being in Australia the prices for those are just stupid and the Renault – Audi options are rare old and still expensive.

The box I’ve bought is actually still at a mate’s house in Atlanta (Georgia). At the moment I’m trying to figure the most cost effective way of getting shipped here. But even with shipping the cost will be about a third of a locally bought unit.

I’ve not seen a Boxster trans used in a kit-car / home built yet. In the grand scheme of things I don’t think it’ll be that hard to sort out and if we were into doing what’s been done already this forum wouldn’t exist.

Any ideas on shipping would be appreciated.

Doug.

gttman

posted on 25/10/06 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Your design is looking very good and I'll have to give you site a proper look when I get the chance.

Regarding the Boxter box, is it the 6 speed? as I know these are very sweet and can handle up to 300bhp easy as the std car is 250+.

Andygtt

Please redefine your limits

Doug68

posted on 25/10/06 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
No its the one of the original 5 speed units.

eBay is a wonderful thing, look long enough and you'll get what you want for what you are prepared to pay.

C10CoryM

posted on 26/10/06 at 02:30 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome,

Looks good but have you considered how your are going to accurately weld all (ten?) of those tubes to a single junction near rear of engine? Also, how does the engine come out? Not hacking on you, just curious.
Cheers.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Doug68

posted on 26/10/06 at 06:07 AM Reply With Quote
The cross bracing over the engine is going to be bolted in.
The engine will drop in through there.
The gear box will already put in going through the same hole.
The top tube coming up over the gearbox will be bent so there’s actually 7 tubes
coming together which I agree will be interesting proposition to weld properly I expect some sort of fixture or plate work will be required to keep it all aligned during the process.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.