Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mid/Rear engined VTwin
matnrach

posted on 24/1/07 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Mid/Rear engined VTwin

Hi,
I have a colleague who has a Suzuki TL1000 Vtwin engine and is intersted in fitting it into a Fiat 126 or similar type car.
Has anybody done anything similar?
I was thinking along the same lines some time ago myself by mounting the engine transversely and bolting a diff onto the output sprocket via a cush drive (BMW prop UJ I think).
I recall having seen some pics of a Midtec with some VTwin fitted, or was I mistaken?
Any body got some pics or web addresses?

Thanks.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 24/1/07 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Do a user name search and check out "uklee70",he has a fiat 500 with a triumph speed triple in,this was designed and built with Martin keenan MK enginnering,Ive seen it drive round cadwell park,great fun watching it blow a skyline,and a few evo's Rescued attachment 1000004257.jpg
Rescued attachment 1000004257.jpg

ned

posted on 24/1/07 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
nsdev is the man, he;s building a twin engined fiat with vtwin motors, hopefully he'll be along soon.

Ned.

[Edited on 24/1/07 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DIY Si

posted on 24/1/07 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
I've been thinking along similar lines for my next project. I quite like the idea of irritating all the locals with something "cute", but silly fast!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

froggy

posted on 25/1/07 at 12:34 AM Reply With Quote
if you dont chain drive it you will have big gearing issues , ive chain driven my kitten and it weighs 485kg with a full tank of fuel, im chuffed with the tl motor and ive kept it on 10" wheels as i dont have the secondary reduction that you will have if you use a car diff Rescued attachment chain drive 006.jpg
Rescued attachment chain drive 006.jpg

PeterW

posted on 25/1/07 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
I've been thinking along similar lines for my next project. I quite like the idea of irritating all the locals with something "cute", but silly fast!

We wanted to put an R1 engine in one of these....

But apparently they became illegal in 2003...

Cheers

Peter

[Edited on 25/1/07 by PeterW]

3GEComponents

posted on 25/1/07 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Where have they all gone?
matnrach

posted on 25/1/07 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info.
In response to needing a chain drive instead of a diff, I worked out that it would be OK with a 3.14:1 final drive ratio.
From memory this meant that the car would be get to around 125mph @ max rpm which didn't seem to bad using 13" rims. I was going to use an Aprilia which was quite highly geared.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.