Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Updated my website - Watts Link
sgraber

posted on 7/7/03 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Updated my website - Watts Link

Got lots done this weekend even though it was a bloody 113 degrees farenheit. Even so, I managed to finish up a few projects. Check it out if you like. Go to my Diary page and then follow the links off the entry dated 7/7/03.
Comments (positive and negative) welcome.

Graber

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kb58

posted on 8/7/03 at 01:12 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, with the heat, guess what happens when a person decides to weld while not wearing a shirt. Instant sunburn. I did that to myself this (warm) weekend.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TheGecko

posted on 8/7/03 at 02:39 AM Reply With Quote
Steve,

Looks good, if a bit beefy. Although I suppose the difference between beefy and fragile is only a pound or three so why torture yourself. I've been think about some sort of saddle clamp to put a Watts link centre pivot bolt in double shear. Don't know whether it's more work than is justified. Time will tell. In the interim I'm watching your and Alan's sites with mucho interest

Kurt,

I NEVER, NEVER weld without covering exposed skin since I sunburnt a perfect silhouette of the hole in my shirt onto my belly when I did my original welding course. I don't care how hot it is, it's overalls, gauntlets and auto-dark helmet for me when welding. This is a pain because here, even today in deepest winter, midday temps are about 20-25C (68-77F). In summer, our peak is around 35C (95F) and as much as 85-90% humidity. Not good overalls weather

Obligatory progres report - I have some negotiating to do with an engine importer and, assuming that goes the way I want ( ie less $$) I will pick up a blacktop 20-valve Corolla front cut next week. Actual cut and weld of chassis will be very soon after that. Only 390 days to my goal of rolling before my 40th birthday - yikes!!!

Best regards all,

Dominic
Brisbane, Australia

sgraber

posted on 8/7/03 at 04:12 AM Reply With Quote
Better beefy than broken, Problem is I seem to be applying that philosophy to the entire build and I think it's getting heavy. Should still be under 1,400 Lbs finished tho.

Go Dominic! - About damn time! hehehe

I often weld without a shirt on. As long as the metal has been degreased, I don't find it to be a problem (molten metal goes trhough clothing anyways). I kinda enjoy the instant tan effect. Saves money not having to visit the tanning salon...

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

Alan B

posted on 8/7/03 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
Steve, there aren't tanning salons in Pheonix really...are there???

Watts linkage looks good...beefiness about right for a road application IMO.

Question for you (or anyone)...will the sideways force on the rear tyres (tires) be greater on a middy than a standard locost?......I guess it must because of higher weight at the rear??

If so I'd say your Watts linkage needs to be fairly substantial. (which it is)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.