Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel contamination scare
nitram38

posted on 28/2/07 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel contamination scare

Anyone been affected by dodgy fuel?
According to the News, it is rife up and down the country.

mookaloid

posted on 28/2/07 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Nope - mind you I drive a diesel

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

nitram38

posted on 28/2/07 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
It would appear that so far only BP ultimate is guaranteed as unaffected.
stevec

posted on 28/2/07 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Makes you wonder who started the scare then dosn't it?
nitram38

posted on 28/2/07 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
It would appear that a ship carrying ethanol did not clean the tanks out before carrying petrol.
The extra ethanol has been damaging lambda sensors. Apparently there is going to be a shortage of those too !!!

iank

posted on 28/2/07 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Guy at work claims to have had a tankful of dodgy fuel.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Catpuss

posted on 28/2/07 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
SWMBO pooped her self when I told her, as she had just filled up at Tesco. Thankfully it doesn't seem to be bad round here as yet.
JoelP

posted on 28/2/07 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
i was listening on the radio, suddenly though, my lil ax started misfiring worse last week, but that was filled at an asda. Theres deffo no lambda sensor to break!
Gaz 1977

posted on 28/2/07 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
I was driving up the A1 in the A2 last week and had an emmision warning light come on and had to pull over. Audi said that the computer was reading a misfire.

It could be linked.

Humbug

posted on 1/3/07 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, I've had it

Symptoms: feels like driving with the handbrake slightly on, i.e. for any given speed, have to accelerate more and/or be in a lower gear.

Latest: going along the motorway with a steady throttle pedal, it will suddenly slow down a bit (say 5mph) for 5-20 seconds, then speed back up again.

I usually use Tesco as it's down the road. Now, I'm not sure what to do - fill up with a tank from Sainsbury and drive it for a while to see if it clears, or let the garage investigate at £££ per hour. Thoughts?
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=61283

G.Man

posted on 1/3/07 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
Surely there is a liability from the suppliers for the repairs after this?

Don't they have some rule about goods being "fit for purpose" and "of merchantable quality"????

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

russbost

posted on 1/3/07 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
"Now, I'm not sure what to do - fill up with a tank from Sainsbury and drive it for a while to see if it clears, or let the garage investigate at £££ per hour. Thoughts? "

Unfortunately, if it's caused by a lambda sensor coated by contaminated fuel (same as if you put leaded in) it won't get better. Your best bet is to ask a decent independant garage to do a diagnostic code read on it (should cost around £40-50)to give an indication of the cause. There is a liability on the fuel supplier, keep evidence of purchase & repairs (if they are fuel related). At present both Tesco & Morrisons are saying their fuel has been checked & is ok.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
britishtrident

posted on 1/3/07 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
On three or four occaisions in the past I have bought fuel questionable of questionable quality from Sainsbury in the past, earlier this week the Rover was badly down on power after a half tank from Morrisions.

As for burning out Lambda sensors Lambda sensor elements are pretty tough and ethanol burns a lot cooler the petrol. I suspect what is really happening is that garages have been changing lambda sensor in a effort to track down the problem.

britishtrident

posted on 1/3/07 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Lead contamination of lambda sensors is entirely different lead additives were design to leave a deposit on engine internal surfaces, all that ethanol produces on combustion is CO2 and H2O.

The main effect of ethanol would be to weaken the mixture.

smart51

posted on 1/3/07 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
One guy on TV this morning was charged over £1000 for 2 sensors to be swapped. It sounds like a major rip off to me. Perhaps garrages have been changing sensors as a revenue generating measure.

I thought that most engines were able to run on a petrol ethanol mix? Certainly on a mix that you could call "contamination"

mcerd1

posted on 1/3/07 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
It would appear that so far only BP ultimate is guaranteed as unaffected.

I can't see why - it apparently comes out the same tanks at the refinery as the shell and tesco premium stuff (don't know what extra they add to it later though)

not that this bothers me - I've still got a carb

02GF74

posted on 1/3/07 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
linky

hmmm, filled up to the brim at Tescos yesterday, got home and back into work ok, fingers crossed eh?

nitram38

posted on 1/3/07 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Apparenently (according to news at 10) lambda sensors are being destroyed.
Quentin Wilson said that you are covered by the sale of goods act for the fuel and any damage to your car, but if you have any out of pocket expenses e.g. you have to use a taxi to get to work, then if the garage does not cough up, it will mean you taking them through the county court.
He also warned of a lambda shortage caused by this problem.
It would also appear that most garages are affected except BP ultimate.

iank

posted on 1/3/07 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
From the BBC - sounds like some frantic bottom covering to me.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6406801.stm

quote:

Independent oil company Greenergy said tests on the fuel it supplied to Tesco and Morrisons showed it met industry standards.

A spokeswoman said the fuel contained up to 5% bio-ethanol, which was within permitted limits, and investigations were continuing.

Trading standards said its officials were also testing a number of samples but had not yet had the results.

Most amusing is the fine they will get for supplying bad fuel.

quote:

The penalty for supplying fuel which does not meet industry standards is a £5,000 fine.

Wonder if that is per company, per filling station or per car...

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Browser

posted on 1/3/07 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
If anybody needs a new Lambda sensor, these are quite a good price

MG David

posted on 1/3/07 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
May be sand or water

There is an article on the FT website today that, in effect, says it does not matter how much ethanol is in petrol as it would not do any lasting damage to the lambda sensor. They say the problem is more likly to sand or water.

IIRC the potential issues with ethanol are old hoses and seals that it may attack if they are not made of suitable material.

Myself, I can't see that water would cause lasting damage either.

smart51

posted on 1/3/07 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
I've have thought that sand would damage many things, if not filtered out, before attacking the lambda sensor.
zxrlocost

posted on 1/3/07 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
good old carb engines
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

westcost1

posted on 1/3/07 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
There seemed to be a lot of broken down cars on the m3 on my way to Portsmouth this morning at one point there was one on each side of the motorway opposite each other.
Seems strange that the supermarkets are claming its nothing to do with fuel mmm!

smart51

posted on 1/3/07 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by westcost1
There seemed to be a lot of broken down cars on the m3 on my way to Portsmouth this morning at one point there was one on each side of the motorway opposite each other.
Seems strange that the supermarkets are claming its nothing to do with fuel mmm!

Hmm, Lots of different cars start to break down at the same time with the same fault. It makes you think that there is a common cause which is the result of a sudden change. What do all cars use? Air and Fuel. Has the air changed?

If the fuel at the depot, pre shipping, was tested and is OK, perhaps the fuel was tampered with en route to the filling stations. Curious then that samples taken from affected cars haven't been found to be faulty. Unless the contaminant is in some way volatile.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.