Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Interesting web site for historic cars
mark chandler

posted on 23/7/07 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting web site for historic cars

Hi chaps,

Looking for some inspiration on what my Midi should look like and found this site so I thought i would share it.

atspeedimage

It takes a few seconds to load, down the bottom are pictures of the cars in flight but more interestingly pictures of the chassis and builds in folders above.

I,m quite drawn to building something that will look like the brabham_bt-30, they even use the chassis as the oil & water cooling pipe's for the engine, top left and bottom right tube water, top right, bottom left for oil....

When you look into the detail its actually quite basic, as in easily copied so thats a good thing.

Audi box will be bolted to my Rv8 tomorrow so trying to decide on tube now, maybe 4 x 1.5" rails through the car as my feet will be up by the rack and 1" triangles to brace it up.

Regards Mark

[Edited on 23/7/07 by mark chandler] Rescued attachment 1969_repco_brabham_bt-30.jpeg
Rescued attachment 1969_repco_brabham_bt-30.jpeg

designer

posted on 23/7/07 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
It would be worth checking if you can use chassis tubes for fluids on a road car.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Confused but excited.

posted on 23/7/07 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
You could describe them as "highly braced coolant tubes".

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

caber

posted on 23/7/07 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
I don't see any reason why not to use chassis as coolant tubes as long as you consider corrosion issues, either beef up the wall thickness or line the tubes with something that will keep the coolant away from the tubes, such as tank sealant applied after welding. I would be a bit worried about cockpit heating and possible burns on the shoulder and arms!

Caber

mark chandler

posted on 23/7/07 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
I agree, its a great way of saving weight and hassle but maybe not that practical in the real world .... but Buel motorbikes use the swinging arms to hold engine oil and some bikes use the frame for petrol & oil tanks so its not that far outside the box !

Anyway I,m ordering my steel tomorrow so I can get building the frame, I will leave my options open by maintaining single lengths down the car.

Regards Mark

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.