Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Electric powered cars
designer

posted on 26/9/07 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Electric powered cars

Does anyone know about any electric powered sevens, or any sites?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 26/9/07 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Like this?

http://www.electric7.com/

oadamo

posted on 26/9/07 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
would you need to tax it if it was electric.
got me thinking now lol.
adam

BenB

posted on 26/9/07 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't tax it, mainly 'cos an electric powered 7 using currently available technology would have the sportiness of a milk float
watsonpj

posted on 26/9/07 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
BenB stop taxing your car then look here

0-30 mph: 1.35 sec
0-60 mph: 3.07 sec in 117 ft
0-100 mph: 6.87 sec
0-100-0 mph 11.2 sec
Lateral g: 1.3
Braking g: 1.2

Ok not a seven but and ariel atoms pretty close

donut

posted on 26/9/07 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
MK apparently make one

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul TigerB6

posted on 26/9/07 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
A se7en without the proper soundtrack just wouldnt be right at all. I can just imagine the shame of driving an electric sportscar out of the pub carpark
speedyxjs

posted on 26/9/07 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
A se7en without the proper soundtrack just wouldnt be right at all. I can just imagine the shame of driving an electric sportscar out of the pub carpark

Make a cd of a ceseven, and play it loud while you are driving

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

smart51

posted on 26/9/07 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
I wouldn't tax it, mainly 'cos an electric powered 7 using currently available technology would have the sportiness of a milk float

Did you grow up in the 60s? Your idea of electric vehicles is somewhat out of date. Electric cars can be FAST. The only problem is range. In terms of battery charge - live fast, die young.

BenB

posted on 26/9/07 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
I know that electric motors have great torque and acceleration can be quite brisk...

but when I said currently available technology I meant stuff avaialble from scrappies This is LOCOSTbuilders after all!!

I know with fuel cells, modern electric motors etc a fast car is possible... but with the available technology (in scrappies) you're going to be looking at a milk float or golf buggy motor with a whole load of deep-discharge batteries. Heavy stuff!!! And not so sporty- hence my original (perhaps badly worded) comments.

I've seen the electric moped in the US, the Ariel atom electric clone etc- but they're all pretty cutting edge technology. Not so available yet for the likes of you and me....

RazMan

posted on 26/9/07 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
I think electric cars are definitely going to get VERY popular in the near future.
With torque curves like this (from Tesla) they have enormous potential .... and battery / motor design is evolving all the time.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

BenB

posted on 26/9/07 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh- but how much is the Tesla Roadstar?
And the range.....

The motors aren't so much the problem. It's supplying the juice to run them..
Fuel cells are the way to go ? hydrogen based.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 26/9/07 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs

Make a cd of a ceseven, and play it loud while you are driving

Good plan - so which is the best BIKE engine to take a recording of????

BenB

posted on 26/9/07 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
An electric moped
russbost

posted on 26/9/07 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
There was one reviewed in either Kitcar or Which kit a couple of years ago, privately built. It had reasonable 0-60 performance, about 5 or 6 secs IIRC, think the range was about 60 - 70 miles. Certainly would blow a milkfloat away!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nitram38

posted on 26/9/07 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
The main problem with electric cars are the batteries. These do not hold enough charge for long journeys so you would have to wait while they recharged.
Also the myth about greener cars is exposed when you have to dispose of the batteries.
The so called green 'toyota prius' is a good example. According to Clarkson, if you include manufacturing and disposal CO2 levels across it's life, it is more enviromentally friendly to drive a V8 4 X 4 !!!!
I work regularly on ups systems and batts are a p.i.t.a as we are always changing them out.
Electric cars are ok for short city journeys but that is about it.
Unless you want to have a fast drag car that you trailer about, what is the point?

iank

posted on 26/9/07 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Motor technology is moving forward slowly, batteries not much movement at all to be honest certainly nothing revolutionary (that will be required to make practical electric cars a reality). Control electronics seems to be moving along at a fair clip though.

The whole 'it wouldn't be right not making noise' thing reminds me of the old guys who still think steam is better than electric for trains.

The thought of a sportscar that screamed up to, overtook and carried on accelerating away from 911 class cars all in utter silence appeals to me on a number of levels

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

gezer

posted on 26/9/07 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
there was a post about the tesla on here a few days ago which got my interest so followed it up,
and as stated locost its not,
motor 250hp 13,000 rpm, single fixed gearbox and controller $25,000,

Li Ion batteries need renewing after around 250 to 500 charges (100,000 miles aprox) $24,000,

but if the motors were produced in quantity will drop to somwhere reasonable,

and if whats on the horizon battery wise is correct, they are now working out how to mass produce carbon nano tube battries,
(allready invented and tested in the lab)
which can be printed on paper like a newspaper !!!
no issues with the problems that ordinary battries have no heat, totally inert, weigh a fraction of a li ion hold three times the charge,
unlimited charging and high discharge rates , and if your mains up to it recharge in less than ten minutes,

they are hoping to have them in production for mobile phones and other consumer products within two years,

as for the engine noise, thats probably what the guys driving steam traction engines said a hundred years ago when one of henry's model A's passed them on the road

I'm to old to live and to young to die --- buggerit

RazMan

posted on 26/9/07 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
0-60mph in less than 4 secs
Range - 250 miles on a 3.5 hour charge
Running costs of 1p per mile (ok disregarding battery replacement but they will become MUCH cheaper)
Equivalent to 135mpg

I'd say that's quite a practical (and fun) means of transport. I would give it a try tomorrow if I had the cash.

[Edited on 26-9-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

nitram38

posted on 26/9/07 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
The trouble is that "trying it" will burn a hole in your wallet.
I think that I will wait!

gezer

posted on 26/9/07 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
The motor technology is not a problem, i should imagine given enough interest any large electrical motor producer could make the same as the motor in the tesla,

the firm that produce it have not invented anything new, it's just an induction motor and works like the one in your washing machine,
and the same goes for the controller,
any number of companies out there given the spec for the motor could produce a controller for it,
its only the limited production that makes it so expensive,

engine noise !!! at those revs it would sound like a jet ?
well okay a quiet jet !!!

I'm to old to live and to young to die --- buggerit

u401768

posted on 26/9/07 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at this:-

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/images/features/16_5_6/batterycharger.pdf

Electric, a seven and 4 wheel drive...

RazMan

posted on 26/9/07 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
.... and 0-60mph in 2.2 secs!

Cheers,
Raz

David Jenkins

posted on 26/9/07 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
This looks like a whole heap of fun!

YouTube link

Rob Palin

posted on 26/9/07 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
The guys developing the Tesla roadster are acutely aware of the importance of noise in the sportscar experience. The thing to remember is that, in the nicest possible way, they are major geeks. They've actually got it so it does make a low-key but quite unique and bizarrely attractive engine/motor noise inside the cabin. The closest thing i could compare it to is a Tie-fighter from Star Wars, which may well have been what they were aiming for!

Personally i don't see it replacing the scream of a bike engine or the angry howl of a Ferrari V12 anytime soon, but eventually this kind of thing will be what enthusiasts gather around to hear. And yes, a little bit of my soul died just as i wrote that.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.