Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Being towed in my Locost
brynhamlet

posted on 8/10/07 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Being towed in my Locost

Had the scariest half-an-hour for a long time on Saturday morning. Persuaded the wife to tow me to the engine builders to save the hassle of getting a trailer or calling the breakdown for the third time in two weeks. Said to her keep the speed down to thirty or so. Straight onto the A1, straight up to 55. Less than twenty foot behind my Audi, eyes at the same level as the back number plate. Sh*t. Can’t see past, one foot permanently on the brake pedal... Fortunately after I banged the horn she did slow down. But still only to 45. Being past by trucks I can see under. Not fun. But hey ho, should be back at weekend and then the fun continues
welderman

posted on 8/10/07 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
I was towed by Danny from MK in my INDY, he got up to about 70mph on the twisty road near there workshop, we used a strap about 5ft long if that, it was quite different i tell you.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

wilkingj

posted on 8/10/07 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
It was probably not legal to do that.

I assume its not SVA'd / Registered.
Therefore its a Trailer and not a Car.
You are not allowed to have passengers in towed trailers on the road.

Like you said, a bit on the hairly side, but you will get used to looking up to lorry wheels, as you zoom past with a huge grin on your face.

Press on, and complete the car

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 8/10/07 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
The only thing I don't like about lorries / buses etc is being in traffic next to them. If it's not their air brakes discharging in your face its the bloody diesel exhaust fumes.

Driving my car @ 60mph is pretty hairy Being towed is a seriously scary thought...

Not sure what the bill would have said if they pulled you over!! Well, other than "you're nicked sonny jim"...

brynhamlet

posted on 8/10/07 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
It's all legal, SVA'd, registered, taxed and insured. It's just the person I bought it from was a prat. The engine builder has rang me and told me two of the valve seats fell out and some of the valves have been hitting the pistons. Fortunately they are alright and as a bonus I will now end up with an unleaded head.
Just more money to spend!!

MG David

posted on 8/10/07 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Solid link

You can make a solid link quite cheaply. It would be much better for the type of towing you did.

When you look up at those trucks you understand why some people paint their cars in such bright colours

Pants On Fire

posted on 8/10/07 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
I got towed off at Colerne in the summer when a TRE failed. I appreciate the organiser wants to minimise track closures, but 5ft of cargo strap between me and white van man at 50 + MPH wasn't fun even on an airfield circuit, god knows what a public road must have been like.

Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

matt_claydon

posted on 8/10/07 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
In theory you are only allowed to tow for recovery purposes of a broken down vehicle; towing from where the vehicle is kept to somewhere else is in fact illegal although I think it's such a little-known area of law it's common practice and no one worries too much about it. Same with towing home a non-runner you've just bought.

Might be a different story if you had an accident though

[Edited on 8/10/07 by matt_claydon]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.