Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: More ZX9 Help
Eggy

posted on 18/10/07 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
More ZX9 Help

Hi, this is my first post so be gentle with me!!

I'm finishing off a ZX9 conversion and I'm struggling with the air box. Been reading loads on airboxes vs filters and so I'd like to keep the std airbox without cutting the bonnet.

Has anyone done this? If so can you post some pictures?

Also,

1) What are my options for making the thing go backwards?? - I'll look such a t*t getting out and pushing!!

2) Is there a rubber bush or somethng I can put in line with the prop to take up the drivetrain lash? Where can I get one from?

3) Is there a throttle mod to make the pedal less responsive for such little travel?

(Sorry for the long post!)

Thanks in advance,
Eggy

JoelP

posted on 18/10/07 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
i used a filter and andn drilled the main jets up a touch.

1) reverse boxes can be used, also muffet diffs can include a reverse.

2) you need a trt prop, includes a rubber bit

3) just change the pedal by moving the cable attachment closer to the pivot point.

awinter

posted on 19/10/07 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
airbox

I turned mine through 180 degrees so that it does not sit over the top of the engine. Some of the airbox does stick out of the top of my bonnet but mine is in a sylva striker and it has a low bonnet. I also used the rubber trumpets from a zx7r set of carbs to help with flow from the reverersed direction of the airbox. I reamed them out to match the wider carb dimentions of the zx9r carbs. Mine is on a c engine.
As for reverse, I don't have one and don't care if I look a t1t pushing. You get used to it and usually end up thinking about how you are gonna park so you don't have to push.
I don't have the TRT on my prop, yes it clangs. If you get the opportunity to fit one then I would from reading may comments on here.
As said mod the pedal, mine is quite long so I can control the power more delicately. You have to be very positive to get full throttle. very important for wet driving as the ZX9r engine comes on cam at 8000rpm which in the wet can cause a trouser moment

Allan

roadrunner

posted on 19/10/07 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
I fitted my air box after using air filter, just turn the backing plate through 180 degrees drill to suit mounting points, you also need to cut off the four protruding pieces at the back of the plate, i stuck these back on the other side, then it was a case of nibbling at the box till it fits, works a treat now.

Eggy

posted on 19/10/07 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks so far, I'll have to have a play at the weekend. Trouble is I've very little clearance under the bonnet as it's not got a bulge - just completely flat.

Are you guys all running a power buldge style bonnet?

Also,

How have you located the speedo pick-up (if you use the bike clocks)

[Edited on 19/10/07 by Eggy]

roadrunner

posted on 19/10/07 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
It would help you alot if you could get a new bonnet with bulge, even if you use an after market filter you would still struggle for clearance.
As for your speedo pick up, make a small bracket which bolts to your sprocket cover, then glue a small magnet to your prop for the sensor to pick up.

Eggy

posted on 19/10/07 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Where can I get a bonnet - IF(?!) I really have to change it?
Eggy

posted on 19/10/07 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Where can I get a bonnet - IF(?!) I really have to change it?
mistergrumpy

posted on 19/10/07 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a Luego Velocity one as its slightly taller and then mounted the engine according to that. You have to buy the scuttle and nose to match though.

Eggy

posted on 19/10/07 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Why do I get the feeling this isn't going to be easy!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.