Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: More than one? And for money? new career?
mr henderson

posted on 20/10/07 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
More than one? And for money? new career?

I wonder how many of us on the mid engined forum are thinking that if our prototype turns out well that we could be persuaded to make another one as a kit, or maybe another 10, 100, maybe more?
And of those that are thinking that way (and that definitely includes me) how many are building some kind of repeatability into our plans, and making commercial feasability part of the basic design concept?

I hope I'm mot alone in thinking that if what I'm doing turns out well that I might well end up doing it as a full time and profitable business. I'm by no means relying on it, and I think there's probably only a 25% chance of it all going the way I would like it to, but the possible commercial aspect does influence much of my thinking, designing etc.

John

speedyxjs

posted on 20/10/07 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
Im not building middy but i have been thinking about that after i have built my locost but i think 25% chance is pushing it unfortunately

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Mark.

posted on 20/10/07 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
It's hard going making a living out of kit cars, you really have to wear the rose tinted glasses and keep believing you are barking up the right tree.
The buzz you get when a customer loves what you have made is out of this world and why I kept going(until i barked at the wrong tree last year).
I'm in the process of creating summat a little mad and off the rails but with the vision that when folk see it they will either love it or hate it....those that love it will hopefully be barking at the same tree as me and the world will be groovy again.

Just do it.....working for others stinks when you have sampled doing yer own thing as you will always find fault in what they do....I'm in that position now and when I get really wound up at work I just say what I think.... especially when we get accused of not being able to read drawings!!!! shame the muppet who drew them can't draw!!!!

Jeeez I feel better for that

Mark

gttman

posted on 20/10/07 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
I have no real plans to go into production with my car as I don't think it will ever be a viable buisiness.... However...

I have already sold a 'kit' to a guy who found my web site and basically spent 6mths convinsing me to sell him one (he's already paid a lot of money for parts I have supplied him).
I also have another very seriously intersted in building one when I am done.

So I have been building in repeatability everywere I felt I needed to.... would be madness not to anyhow as I am of the opinion that after the prototype we would all want to build another 'even better' version.

[Edited on 20/10/07 by gttman]

Andygtt

Please redefine your limits

Alan B

posted on 20/10/07 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Yep...me too....guilty as charged.

Every part I've made is fully documented. Not expecting to get rich on just the car kit per se but it will part of my long term plans for independance.

It will actually be the second time around as I was in the kit business 25 years ago...so I am fully aware of the pitfalls.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sgraber

posted on 20/10/07 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
My glasses are indeed rose-colored...

But I am not quiting my day job, I am approaching this as a fun hobby that I may someday be able to work at full-time. For now it's chassis plans at $99, and bodywork for sale at $4,500, and a parts list free for anyone that buys either of those two items.

Then there is the full build manual in the works to be used to assemble the chassis and parts collected into a running car. That is not finished yet and I am slowly writing it.

Soon a completely new track-specific car that is not based on the MR2 donor kit car but made from all-new components will be coming out of my friends shop and I hope that we may find a niche for those on tracks around the USA and the world. One just never knows!

I am having the time of my life with this fun side-project called la Bala, and since I never, EVER give up, I am certain that at some point it will be successful.

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mr henderson

posted on 20/10/07 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

It will actually be the second time around as I was in the kit business 25 years ago...so I am fully aware of the pitfalls.

Thereby hangs a tale? I've got a few minutes to sit and listen.

John

[Edited on 20/10/07 by mr henderson]

[Edited on 20/10/07 by mr henderson]

rpmagazine

posted on 20/10/07 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
chassis plans will be free. A run of 10 chassis and body kits will be done to qualify the car for a racing class. None of the work will be done by me, but by companies I regularly deal with.
RazMan

posted on 20/10/07 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gttman
I am of the opinion that after the prototype we would all want to build another 'even better' version.

Originally I thought I would be satified with my finished car but now I am more determined to make another - but a bit bigger, faster, more comfortable etc etc

Some of us will never learn

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

thomas4age

posted on 25/10/07 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
same here Raz,

grtz Thomas

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.