Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Electric 7 !?!
donut

posted on 7/11/07 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Electric 7 !?!

Ok here's a good one for you.

A friend of mine just told me that he will soon be building an ELECTRIC Porsche 356 replica for a customer of his. The customer has found the motor and speed controller and recons it will give 100miles on a single charge with the amount of batteries he intends to use, also 0-60 time will be pretty rapid too, maybe not as quick as the electric Ariel Atom but good never the less.

MK have built an electric Indy but i have never heard of an electric Locost. It has got me thinking that it could be interesting to build such a vehicle as an alternative to the same old cars.

Anyone have links or ideas on where to get items like motors etc. Also anyone now how you stand on SVA-ing such a vehicle? Would road tax be cheap?

Lots to think about here and research to be done!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Howlor

posted on 7/11/07 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Real men have an engine!

And also would you really want an EEC?!

gingerprince

posted on 7/11/07 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
I've heard of an Electric 6?

Gay Bar!

donut

posted on 7/11/07 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

And also would you really want an EEC?!

erm....yes! i like to be different!!

When i flew model aircraft i much prefered the electric planes.

It would be an interesting project. The MK does 300 miles on a single charge.

[Edited on 7/11/07 by donut]

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 7/11/07 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
And real trains run on steam...
I've nothing against electric cars except the range and weight of the batteries. Everything else about them is brilliant IMO.
Unfortunately battery technology hasn't moved forward significantly in 30 years and doesn't look like it will.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Guinness

posted on 7/11/07 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
I've nothing against electric cars except the range and weight of the batteries. Everything else about them is brilliant IMO.
Unfortunately battery technology hasn't moved forward significantly in 30 years and doesn't look like it will.

Could you not fit a nice petrol generator to re-charge them as you drive?

Mike

Howlor

posted on 7/11/07 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
quote:
Originally posted by iank

Could you not fit a nice petrol generator to re-charge them as you drive?

Mike

Like a 1000cc bike powered genny?!

[Edited on 7/11/07 by Howlor]

donut

posted on 7/11/07 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Not true, Batteries are always being developed. Car batteries are much the same as always but are improving with the onset of more and more electric vehicles but who says you have to use car batteries?

Andy

Howlor

posted on 7/11/07 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donut
quote:

Not true, Batteries are always being developed. Car batteries are much the same as always but are improving with the onset of more and more electric vehicles but who says you have to use car batteries?

You'd need a few AA's!

Guinness

posted on 7/11/07 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Doesn't the Tesla use mobile phone batteries rather than lead acid stylee.

Mike

donut

posted on 7/11/07 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
I think you mean Li Poly batteris, these are getting better all the time.

Andy

drlloyd

posted on 7/11/07 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think that's actually true, mobile phones have ensured that battery technology has come a long way in the last 10 years. The powerpacks that electric cars run on normally consist of a multitude of these type of batteries.

Its also good to hear that people are trying new things and not following the status quo.

Delinquent

posted on 7/11/07 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
I've also been hankering for a scratch build electric for ages Donut, so you are not alone oddly enough also through my RC aircraft.

If you were into electric planes no doubt you'll have used the lithium packs - I've been told these are seeing considerable use in electric cars nowadays - though obviously it's a serious investment to make, and you need to be incredibly careful with balance etc (sure you've seen footage of RC aircraft going up with a rather "expressive" bang!)

If I could find the packs cheap enough, I would without doubt have already started on something. Which might tell you a thing about the packs.... definitely not locost.

donut

posted on 7/11/07 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
As it will be a 'locost' project i may look at using normal batteries for now and see if it's possible to get 150+ miles with reasonable performance, top speed of 70mph would be ok.

And yes i have been at the receiving end of the lipo battery exploding on me in my garage!!! not nice

Andy

Delinquent

posted on 7/11/07 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
I think you'll seriously, seriously struggle to get anywhere near your goals using standard car batteries - look at a milk float, they don't have that massive swath of batteries in the base for ballast... (they are however a good source of parts )

We had an electric vehicle project at school many (many many many) moons ago, a car battery and a half decent motor lasted just long enough to make sure it was a pain in the backside to push it back to the charging station, and that was a lightweight bike wheel type affair!

designer

posted on 7/11/07 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
It has been done

http://www.electric7.com/

iank

posted on 7/11/07 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
I was careful to say hasn't got significantly better (and my father-in-law was a phd chief battery developer/designer 30 years ago and went through the problems a couple of years and bottles of red back).

Batteries have improved a little, probably 2 or 3 times better than the batteries of yore. But for context in the same period electric motors are 10's of times , semiconductor controllers 100's of times and computer technology 1000's of times better.

There really isn't a way of improving the energy density of batteries the 50 or so times to make them a practical alternative to petrol/diesel (say 5 times the range and a 10th the weight). Physics is against you. Thus the interest in hydrogen fuel cells etc. If batteries could be improved to the levels required they would be spending the research £££ there.

Putting a generator in the car to run an electric motor isn't such a stupid idea as combustion engines can be made to run very efficiently at a specific rpm. It's the constant changing rpm requirement that means current engine technology has to remain a compromise.

I confidently predict (working in the mobile phone business) that companies using li-ion/li-poly batteries will get really bad press if they ever sell any quantity as the range will reduce to half advertised in 6months of ownership and fail completely in a year. The first car fire being visible from 10miles away will also cause some comment

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Delinquent

posted on 7/11/07 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I confidently predict (working in the mobile phone business) that companies using li-ion/li-poly batteries will get really bad press if they ever sell any quantity as the range will reduce to half advertised in 6months of ownership and fail completely in a year. The first car fire being visible from 10miles away will also cause some comment

They already are selling them for specifically that purpose, they are however much more cautious with minimum voltages and maximum current draws to prevent the early demise that you hint at - a contact I have through their use in RC is currently working extensively with automotive designers to perfect a level between performance and sustainability.

I agree with most of your concerns (especially the fireball!), however keeping liths WELL within operating spec does give them an inordinately longer lifespan.

One of my RC packs has had thousands of charges through it and dropped only a few percent of it's capacity & output - another identical pack used in a different aircraft had only a couple of hundred cycles before it was dead - all down to loading.

[Edited on 7/11/07 by Delinquent]

MikeR

posted on 7/11/07 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
How much power would an electric motor need on average?

Just thinking a few batteries for burst, use the motor on the coast down to re-charge the batteries and then a little generator to provide the 'normal' power.

Won't sound great but would a little two stroke diesel generator putting out a few kw work?

(i'm thinking along the lines of the diesel trains that use an electric motor to drive the wheels)

ceebmoj

posted on 7/11/07 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
hi there you can buy a relativly good of the shelf eletric power plant by ac propulshone as is fited to an atom you may have seen picks of racing aganst a ferari.

as for baterys there is presently a lot of reserch in using a combination of large capasiters and batterys in vhecles to store the power from regenaterive breaking and normall operation

donut

posted on 7/11/07 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
From the www.electric7.com site:

[Note: working with high voltage and batteries is dangerous and can be lethal. Those involved with this project are trained in high voltage safety and battery safety, and the depth of their involvement depends on their level of engineering expertise. Do not involve yourself in a similar project unless you are qualified and are aware of the safety precautions that must be taken. Always take appropriate precautions: even training and expertise does not eliminate the possibility of injury or death.]

Makes you think!! especially with my record of electrics!!

Andy

Delinquent

posted on 7/11/07 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
I can well believe it can cause death - I just had a look at the prices on AC propulsion, nearly gave me a heart attack!!!
donut

posted on 7/11/07 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
This is another thing to consider....cost! Can it be done simply on a budget but remain safe?

Andy

Delinquent

posted on 7/11/07 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
honestly - if you don't know what you are doing, with some depth, I'd say no. If you do, yes. I've got at least one friend who nearly lost their house and life just from a cock up with a RC heli pack - just think what you could do with the sort of packs you are going to need for a car...

The safest way to do it has to be a pre-prepared solution, which isn't going to be cheap.

donut

posted on 7/11/07 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Mate, i can't even wire a car battery

Perhaps this is a bad idea

Andy

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.