Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Looks like I got me a chassis (just about)
ProjectLMP

posted on 17/11/03 at 12:36 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like I got me a chassis (just about)

After much wittling of metal tubes I have finally got something that looks like a chassis. Good job too because I've had all I can take of cutting and welding tubes for now. Looking forward to doing some machining. Not to mention I can now clean that horrible grinding dust off everything!

More pics at:

http://members.rogers.com/projectlmp/

Home of the Astronomicalcost Mid engined LMP project

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 17/11/03 at 02:16 AM Reply With Quote
Looking very good...

It's fun isn't it?..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gsand

posted on 17/11/03 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote

Looks very, very nice...

IM building one very simalar to you... coincidence.

IMO, wouldnt it have been alot easier to use square tube? Ill certainly be using it...

Hugh Paterson

posted on 17/11/03 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Very very nice, cannot wait to see the body
Shug.

ned

posted on 17/11/03 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
That does look good. I would very much like to do a mid engined car once the locost is finished, though am put off about the whole bodywork thing. I've seen Alanb's progress, which makes me realise how slow a process making bodywork is. I recon I'd be able to design and build a chassis, but would be stumped with the bodywork. The one option I did think of was to get some bodywork and design something round it, though I'm sure this is the wrong way to do it!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

Alan B

posted on 17/11/03 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gsand
......IMO, wouldnt it have been alot easier to use square tube? Ill certainly be using it...

Not necessarily.....some parts can be a bit easier......but round is much easier for multi-plane angled joints...e.g. corner to corner across a cube......try that with square...

Overall, IMO, it's worth the bit extra work...

Spyderman

posted on 17/11/03 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
That does look good. I would very much like to do a mid engined car once the locost is finished, though am put off about the whole bodywork thing. I've seen Alanb's progress, which makes me realise how slow a process making bodywork is. I recon I'd be able to design and build a chassis, but would be stumped with the bodywork. The one option I did think of was to get some bodywork and design something round it, though I'm sure this is the wrong way to do it!

Ned.

It needent be Ned!
This is exactly what I am doing!

You only need to look at the likes of Sylva/Fisher Fury and such to see the chassis is basically a seven with outriggers to mount the body to.

The biggest problem could be finding a body style you like tho'.
Although saying that there is no reason why you couldn't extend a glass fibre body to cover a rear engined layout.

There are a lot of kits that have been done like that, but the other way around. Rear engine to front.

Just a thought anyway!

Terry

ps. very nice looking chassis LMP. Looking forward to seeing the body as well.

[Edited on 17/11/03 by Spyderman]

Spyderman

sgraber

posted on 17/11/03 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Paul,

Your frame is awesome and I just want to make my admiration for your design and fabrications skills a matter of public record.

You are the king. I'm not worthy!!!!

Graber

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

pbura

posted on 17/11/03 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
First class all the way, Paul. Design, execution, shop, tools, everything!!

Enviously yours ,

Pete

Pete

robinbastd

posted on 17/11/03 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Very,very nice........the car,the workshop,everything. In fact your workshop is nicer than my house. And bigger!
Keep it up
Ian

Only a dead fish swims with the tide.

http://smuttygifts.com/

ProjectLMP

posted on 18/11/03 at 03:07 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the complements. At the moment it just looks pretty, the real test will be in the driving!

Seriously, I think the two most important things when tackling a project as massive as a home build car are: Self belief that you can do it and patience. This forum has certainly helped me on the first point and everyone's projects have offered inspiration to me in one way or another.

Answers to a couple of questions:

>IMO, wouldnt it have been alot easier to >use square tube? Ill certainly be using >it...

I would agree with Alan on this one, square is good for simple boxes but multi- tube complex joints are a nighmare. Round isn't too difficult with the right tools and a bit of practise. However, I would say it is definately more time consuming. Probably at least twice or three times the effort depending on the joint. Hoever, the joints are definately stronger and you end up with a lighter frame.

>In fact your workshop is nicer than my >house.

My workshop is probably nicer than the rest of the house! You've got to get your priorities right (helps being single!)

kb58

posted on 18/11/03 at 03:54 AM Reply With Quote
Very nice looking. Mine started out looking like that, then as the months went by while I put all the "other stuff" on, it kept getting more and more rusty

If you hate cutting, grinding, and welding, just wait until you start with all the numerous brackets

Hugh Paterson

posted on 18/11/03 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Paul, whats the wheelbase and track between centres? Just curious
Shug.

Peteff

posted on 18/11/03 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Where does the engine go in all that lot? I can see the seating area but the space looks tight in the back. I'll agree with the brackets thing, I spent two days drilling and bending bits of metal to hang the axle and wishbones on. How do you fasten them to a round tube or do you make two pieces with the tube profile and weld them on seperate? Sounds easier. Can't wait to see it on wheels.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Alan B

posted on 18/11/03 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
We used to make round tube brackets like this...
Type A were good if you could slip them over the tube first
Type B were easy to make in pairs

Notice how much weld you can get on them compared to square.

Good old holesaws to the rescue....

round tube bracket
round tube bracket

[Edited on 18/11/03 by Alan B]

[Edited on 18/11/03 by Alan B]

suparuss

posted on 18/11/03 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
exactly as id planned (makes sense instead of putting in square tube where your brackets go). course it could be down to the fact that great minds think alike!
i have the luxury of a plasma cutter so wont be needing any quaint little hole saws except for fishmouthing my tubes of course.

chassis looks good btw!

Russ.

ProjectLMP

posted on 20/11/03 at 03:28 AM Reply With Quote
Shug, the wheelbase is 98" and track approx 61"

Petef, I don't have a picture but if you go to the design section of my site you can
see a mock up of the engine located in the balsa model. It might look tight but in fact there is a lot more room than in a Radical SR3 or Westfield XTR2.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.