Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: any engine experts around?
bikkel

posted on 15/8/08 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
any engine experts around?

hi there,

just drove a few milesin my ZX12R indy, and I noticed that my breather tank smokes quite a lot (blue-ish) only at higher revs >7K.
Smoke is coming from the camcover-breather pipe.

what could be wrong??
piston-oilrings + valve stem seals?

advice needed!!

thanx ,

koen

www.zx12r-indy.tk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 15/8/08 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
this could just be normal breathing - normally the engine outlet go back into the airbox so this fume is bunt off ... but then it is a BEC so I dunno for sure.

Has it always done this? or started doing this and is getting worse? Have you filled oil to correct level? How much oil are you collecting after say 1/2 hour of running?

You can do compression test on pistons easily enough. Worn valve seals usually show themselves as clouds of smoke on start up as the oil drains past them into the cylinders.

ecosse

posted on 15/8/08 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
If it's doing it at revs it is more likely to be the rings than the stem seals.
I had a gixer once that did the same, turned out to be a broken ring, compression test is the way to find out though

Cheers

Alex

bikkel

posted on 16/8/08 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
there 's no sign of any oilsmoke on startup.

I'm running a drysump, s the oil level has no influence as it is in the drysmptank.

there's some pressure behind it, because the blueisch smoke comes out of the catch tank despite the breatherfilter on the catch tank.

koen

www.zx12r-indy.tk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.