Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Viento RV8 alternator wiring question
simonk

posted on 21/9/07 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Viento RV8 alternator wiring question

Hi All

I'm doing final wiring (nearly there !!) and have a question about the alternator wiring please.

I have a nice shiny alternator with a big high current terminator on the side, and a little connector with two wire tails. I can only find one wire marked alternator in the loom - I'm clearly missing something, can one of you fellow Viento V8 chaps let me know what it is please ??

Many thanks
Simon

jollygreengiant

posted on 21/9/07 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Big Terminal normally connects by heavy wire to battery + and/or live side of fuse box / isolator switch.

Then you normally have a thin wire (coloured blue on most fords) that is a sensor/energiser wire that connects to a smaller terminal on the alternator. This should go to the tell tale on the dash to switch of the light to tell you that the alternator is charging.

Hope this helps.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

simonk

posted on 21/9/07 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I'll have a closer look tomorrow, looks like I'll have to run a big cable to the battery +ve as you suggest.

Thanks again
Simon

darrens

posted on 22/9/07 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
just a wee note, on most alternaters you need to have the dash warning light connected for the charging cct to complete.

Ta.

Paradoxia0

posted on 22/9/07 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with JollyGreenGiant. The large terminal connects directly to the positive on the battery (or to the positive site of the starter solenoid which in turn connects directly to the battery). and the small wire goes directly to the battery warning/charge light on the dash.

Mark

There is no replacement for displacement...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.