Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Progress...
phil4521

posted on 5/3/08 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Progress...

Finally got the engine and gearbox in last weekend, with help of 2 mates plus a lot od cursing plus hoist. No serious probs except Luego supplied engine mounts were drilled incorrectly so had to enlarge holes a lot and use penny washers to lock the bolts. and er frill the gearbox mount hole blind from under the car ( got lucky here) Other problem was the spring mechanism for reverse on gbox that fouled the chasis member in the tunnel so had to take this off- just need to remember not to push too hard into first otherwise will get reverse

This gives me a foundation to get on and try and get the beast on the road this year, lots to do but I can see the end.I may need to remount the alternator as its v close to the chasis member now- will try a shorter fan belt but need to clear pump hose as well and its all getting v tight. I have seen these mounted higher- I am using standard SD1 mount so if anyone can tell me what bits I need to mount it higher that will help.
I will try and post some pics as well.

Where best to source my prop from now- any suggestions?

phil4521

posted on 5/3/08 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Here is a pic
jollygreengiant

posted on 5/3/08 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Bailey Morris at St Neots for the propshaft.

Or http://www.baileymorris.co.uk

they usually turn them round for you in a couple of days to your spec.

Sorry no pic.

Edit= Just had a look in your archive. Very nice looking install, but I think you might need to make your photo's a tad smaller.
Good to hear you are making progress.

[Edited on 5/3/08 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

jollygreengiant

posted on 6/3/08 at 04:36 AM Reply With Quote
Here they are.

Alternator proximity
Description
Description

and engine in
Description
Description

I would advise you though Phil that you have your brake hose(s) assembled incorrectly through the mounting points.
They should go hose, mounting point, lock nut (to hold the hose onto the mounting) and then the pipe and female nut fit onto the male end of the hose. You appear to have yours mounted hose with lock nut and then the mounting with the female pipe nut holding everything together.

Apart from that it is looking very good mate.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

simonk

posted on 6/3/08 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Phil, presume you are using an LT77 ?

It is possible to get the 'box back far enough in the car that the reverse detent sits behind the chassis rail. You need to carefully slim down the remote casing at its widest point - I did this with a hacksaw and powerfile, and grind back the bolts for the reverse detent as far as you dare. By doing this I was able to squeeze the remote into the tunnel and tuck the detent behind the rail. If you do this you will need to make a cut-out in the gearbox mounting plate to allow the 'box to slide back a bit further.

You're welcome to come and see how mine's fitted, I'll be in the garage Friday and Saturday night - U2U me if you want to come and take a look.

Cheers
Simon

simonk

posted on 6/3/08 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
Also, moving the engine back will improve your alternator clearance problem. Mine's mounted high on the passenger side using bits cobbled up from a Range Rover PAS pump mount - seems to work OK.... I'm based a few minutes East of the A1 near Biggleswade - about 25 mins from you.

Cheers
Simon

phil4521

posted on 6/3/08 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for your help guys, great to have the support, have u2u Simon and will come and looksee.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.