Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wheel arch position (viento)
tomgregory2000

posted on 8/1/09 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Wheel arch position (viento)

Sorry bout the big pictures
I have just got round to fitting my wheel arches (its only been just over 4 years) and it appears that i have the same size arches as this one

[img] Complete Car Side
Complete Car Side
[/img]

not like this one

[img] Description
Description
[/img]
now i have done a few searchs regarding arch position and that the front edge has to be in front of the wheel rim, now if i do this with the arches i have it will move the rear edge up above the centre line of the hub and look silly.
What i want to know is if i fit them as in the blue car picture will i pass sva or am i going to have to put the wheel arch forward and extend the lower section to go past the centre line of the hub? or is the rear covering not as important as the front/top?

neilj37

posted on 8/1/09 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
I do not have a copy of SVA book here at work but thought it was quite specific about what parts of the wheel needed to be covered and could not be seen when viewed from above.
wilkingj

posted on 8/1/09 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Front Mudguards - SVA requirement:
The top/front edge:
This must be forward of a vertical line from the frontmost part of the wheel rim (NOT the tyre).

Lower / Back edge:
This must be below a horizintal line through the axle centre.

Back wings on a Viento will be OK.
However, there are two schools of thought, and both are OK.
Either the front edge of the wing is level with the lower edge of the chassis.
Or the Back edge is level with the lower edge of the rear body.
I went for the back edge all being level.

From a sideways part / view, the front guard must cover all the tyre. Mine were a bitch, and only covered by about 0.5mm on each side.

The front guards on the Blue Viento will fail SVA. they are too far back at the top front edge.
Although this was the Luego's demonstrator, it had been rebuilt after an accident (Got a new chassis, as I saw the old one at the factory after the rebuild)
They fittted 17" wheels at the same time.

Note: those guards on the Blue Viento are early Luego ones and a sized for 15" wheels. They will barely cover a 205 x 17" wheel and tyre.

I speak from experience - See my nice red mudflap extensions (cut from a Comma Oil Can) in my archive which got me thru the SVA.

[Edited on 8/1/2009 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tomgregory2000

posted on 8/1/09 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
I have the early style ones as they are 4 and a bit years old, so i am going to have to mount them so the front edge is in front of the front edge of the rim and extend the back edge to go below the centre line or have to buy some new ones?
They cover the tyre width just

speedyxjs

posted on 8/1/09 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Front Mudguards - SVA requirement:
The top/front edge:
This must be forward of a vertical line from the frontmost part of the wheel rim (NOT the tyre).

Lower / Back edge:
This must be below a horizintal line through the axle centre.

Either the front edge of the wing is level with the lower edge of the chassis.
Or the Back edge is level with the lower edge of the rear body.
I went for the back edge all being level.

From a sideways part / view, the front guard must cover all the tyre. Mine were a bitch, and only covered by about 0.5mm on each side.

The front guards on the Blue Viento will fail SVA. they are too far back at the top front edge.
Although this was the Luego's demonstrator, it had been rebuilt after an accident (Got a new chassis, as I saw the old one at the factory after the rebuild)
They fittted 17" wheels at the same time.

Note: those guards on the Blue Viento are early Luego ones and a sized for 15" wheels. They will barely cover a 205 x 17" wheel and tyre.

I speak from experience - See my nice red mudflap extensions (cut from a Comma Oil Can) in my archive which got me thru the SVA.

I think tomgregory2000 will be looking at IVA rather than SVA

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

tomgregory2000

posted on 8/1/09 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
I think tomgregory2000 will be looking at IVA rather than SVA

Hell no i wont!!!
Im going SVA mid march sending off my forms tomorrow!!! as i have not got much left to go and ive been working every night in my marquee even at -4, that was a could night BRRRRR.....

Dusty

posted on 8/1/09 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Might be better off under IVA for this one. The proposed rules are below.
1. The vehicle must be fitted with wheel guards
2. The wheel guard must extend at least 30 degrees from the centre
of the wheel to the front ( figure 1 )
3. The wheel guard must extend at least 50 degrees from the centre
of the wheel to the rear ( figure 1 )
4. The wheel guard must cover the full breadth of the tyre throughout
the required dimensions ( figure 1 )
5. The rear of the wheel guard must not terminate above a horizontal
plane of 150mm above the wheel centre. See note 1 ( figure 1 )
That's if I have read them right. Rescued attachment mudguard.JPG
Rescued attachment mudguard.JPG

jollygreengiant

posted on 8/1/09 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj

Sorry Geoff there are three schools of thought, I have mounted mine so that they are level at the Front AND Rear. This means that they sit lower down on the rear arch and a filler section of ally has been fitted to tidy up the to edge.
Rear arches fitted
Rear arches fitted

nearside finisher better angle
nearside finisher better angle

All being well I hope to actually get the car out of the Garage sometime next week (possibly the week after) if all my work goes to plan as I am currently manufacturing the boot cover (not as I originally wanted, but that's another story) and when that is fitted I should be able to drive her out of the Garage for the first time and take some better photo's.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

rusty nuts

posted on 8/1/09 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
At the Newark show last year there was a line up of Viento's , it seemed as if no two cars had the rear arches fitted the same. When I fitted my locost arches I measured from the center of the wheel and mounted the arch so there was an even gap between the tyre and arch. IMHO that looks so much better than an uneven gap .

Make that 4 schools of thought?

[Edited on 8/1/09 by rusty nuts]

wilkingj

posted on 9/1/09 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
OOps... I stand Corrected

Interesting on the IVA.

I just cut some mudflaps out of a Red Comma Plastic oil can and nipped them up with the bracket.

Havent got round to taking them off yet.

You want a good low flap ar the rear of the wheen on the front. It stops crap being thrown up and hitting the driver especially when its wet.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
simonk

posted on 9/1/09 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
I had (have) the same arches and had made up 'mudflaps' from some carbon look ABS to cover the front and rear angles on this. This however was not the problem. Mine failed because no part of the wheel or tyre can protrude beyond a line drawn straight down from the edges of the guard to the ground on the outside and inside. I dialled out all the camber and bought bigger wings to get mine through. I have heard of cars passing with something like door or bootlid sealing strip applied round the outside edge to effectively make the wings bigger.

The tester measured mine with a spirit level by holding it against the edge of the wing ensuring it was perpendicular and checking that the wheel and tyre could not be contacted.

I think that you will struggle to get the small wings SVA friendly and if I were doing it again I would have fitted bigger wings and not having to mess with the wing stays and re-drilling stuff later.

The 'sva' picture in my archive shows the car with CarbonMods' 'large modern' wings on. Well made and light and the right size, but not cheap unfortunately.

Good luck
Simon

Paul (Notts)

posted on 9/1/09 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

have heard of cars passing with something like door or bootlid sealing strip applied round the outside edge to effectively make the wings bigger.

Double window channel

Thats what I had to do so that the wings were wide enought to cover the wheel width passed with 1/2 mm to spare

Paul

Paul (Notts)

posted on 9/1/09 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
like this... Rescued attachment nov06 040small.jpg
Rescued attachment nov06 040small.jpg

NeilP

posted on 9/1/09 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Tom,

My ones (the red car) have since been cut back after the SVA to something a little more aesthetically pleasing - Thing there are some new shots in the archive...

Neil.

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.