Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Luego Headlight mounting
DanP

posted on 5/4/09 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Luego Headlight mounting

I'm hoping to book my SVA retest this week having failed first time on a few things; one which was the headlight mountings - the tester wasn't happy that the headlights would wobble a little when you pulled on the top of one.

I've done my best to beef up how they bolt to the chassis but was wondering how other people have mounted them incase I just had it totally wrong in the first place. Having looked at wikingj's photos of the luego demo car it looks like there were at least two styles: a bar or individual plates (this is what I have).

I'd appreciate knowing what kind and what mounting method other people gave passed SVA with.

Thanks
Dan

tomgregory2000

posted on 5/4/09 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Hay Dan

Ive just passed my sva at southampton vith my viento, i have the 2 brackets on plates and passed no probs on the re test after i had to extend the brackets as my headlights fell outside of the 400mm from outer edge of car, mine are attached to the diaginal bar inside the nose cone with 2 6mm hex bolts and penny washers into riv nuts

Tommy

DanP

posted on 5/4/09 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Tommy,

Thanks for the info, thats the exact way I had mine fitted, hopefully I will get away with it this time as I have put bigger bolts through the chassis rails rather than into rivnuts and run a bar between the two plates to try to stop any wiggle.

Cheers,
Dan

[Edited on 5/4/09 by DanP]

jollygreengiant

posted on 5/4/09 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
High Dan.

I'm re-posting the photo of my mountings. I mounted them flush to the edge of the Chassis using counter sunk screws in counter bored holes. The nose cone DOES sit on top of this arrangement with the gap caused step down onto the chassis being taken up with sponge foam tape on final fit. Also, my tester was more than happy with this arrangement. The only problem was the headlight were slightly misaligned on aim. However after he tested for the security of mounting of each headlamp he mysteriously found that they were not only secure, but aligned as well.
I also got a length of plastic water pipe (it fits perfectly down the bore of each tube out to the headlamp platform) from which I removed a segment of approximately 1/4 to 1/3 of its circumference along its length (apart from the last 4inches/100mm). I then drilled the outer tube under the headlamp mounting platform and fitted a grommet. The headlamp cables were then fed through this grommet and into the white pipe exiting in the engine bay where I fitted a multi-pin snap connector. The white tube in between the brackets is then used to as a snap in carry bridge for any other electrical cabling that runs across the front of the car.
The screws in the brackets are into Rivnuts, although there are 4 each side.

Engine bay so far
Engine bay so far

Hope this helps.

[Edited on 5/4/09 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

richard thomas

posted on 5/4/09 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
My brackets look like JGG's.

Rich.

Steve Lovelock

posted on 6/4/09 at 05:34 AM Reply With Quote
I just used the standard brackets cut down a little. Sure they have movement but if you ever pulled a 2CV light the thing would wobble the whole car! You could take the bracket off then apply sealer / glue to the base and refix it to gain some extra ridgity. Or failing that ask Ben @ Lego what his experance is on this?

[Edited on 6/4/09 by Steve Lovelock] Rescued attachment DSC01736a.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC01736a.JPG

DanP

posted on 6/4/09 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the tips guys, I may have a go at fitting them like that.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.