Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Crossflow cooling plumbing
strikerguy

posted on 5/8/13 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Crossflow cooling plumbing

When my Striker came over from the UK, it had curious cooling plumbing. Crossflow Vulcan 1360 cc with BCF2 cam.

I rebuild the stuff to the next situation:
- radiator top is below cylinder head and thermostat housing
- radiator had a radiator cap but that's now welded shut
- thermostat housing with fan switch and overflow pipe (i think that's referred to as a Fiesta thermostat housing)
- inlet manifold heater connected to waterpump
- thermostat opens at 88 degrees
- fan switch opens at 92 degrees and closes at 84 degrees
- overflow pipe on thermostat housing is connected to lower pipe of non pressurized overflow bottle

Seems to work fine because even in the last very hot days over here, the engine temperature never exceeded 90 degrees.
When hot the level in the overflow bottle rises and it plummets when cooling down, so that seems ok as well.

But.... The fan is doing things i don't understand. Initially after warming up i can see (on the temperature gauge) the mechanical thermostat opening and closing until engine temperature reaches around 90 degrees. After some traffic light stops and slow driving the fan kicks in for some seconds and quits when normal temperature is reached again. Fine so far.
Until a certain moment the fan starts and never stops, even the fact that engine temperature drops below 80 degrees !

The only explanation i can come up with, is that the switch is running on an air bubble in the top of the thermostat housing. But that bubble was supposed to be dumped in the overflow bottle....

Familiar ?

[Edited on 5/8/13 by strikerguy]

[Edited on 5/8/13 by strikerguy]

Dick Axtell

posted on 5/8/13 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by strikerguy
Until a certain moment the fan starts and never stops, even the fact that engine temperature drops below 80 degrees !

Familiar ?

Was going to say "yes" - until I read the sentence above! If not your trapped air bubble, could possibly some kind of hysteresis in the water temp sensor.

Will deffo have to change mine, because the water temp reads far too high! Mismatch between gauge & sensor.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

britishtrident

posted on 5/8/13 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
as the Meerkat says in a UK TV advert says "Simples".

The relationship between the thermostat starts to open temperature and the fan shut off temperature is wrong.
The fan switch shut off temperature should always be higher than the thermostat starts to open temperature

88c stat normally will keep the engine at 90c to91c and needs a fan switch than that cuts in at about 97c and off at 91c

If you change to an 84c thermostat then a 93c on/87c off fan switch will work.

I would also recommend you drill a single 2 to 2.5mm hole in the thermostat.

You might want also to consider changing to pressurised expansion tank with two connections.

[Edited on 5/8/13 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 5/8/13 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
The thermostat is the sam e pattern as those used on most British cars of the 1960s and 1970s including the BL Mini and MG Midget and MGB
Rimmer Bros in UK stock an 82c thermostat that will fit. http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GTS104

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

strikerguy

posted on 5/8/13 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
The Vulcan guy advices a 74 degrees thermostat for this engine setup, what seems a little bit low to me.
I understand the relationship between opening and closing temperatures of switch and thermostat, but still don't understand why this phenomena happens after a certain period....
I will try a lower temp thermostat !

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.