Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: First pics of First attempt at dash.
jollygreengiant

posted on 8/3/07 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
First pics of First attempt at dash.

Been a bit busy yesterday & today in/out of the garage. So here are a couple of shots of the dash so far in my first attempt. sorry if the photo's are abit poor but it was getting dark & I was getting tired & hungry.
Here is the dash from the back of the car. Rescued attachment 08032007.jpg
Rescued attachment 08032007.jpg

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

jollygreengiant

posted on 8/3/07 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
From above.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

jollygreengiant

posted on 8/3/07 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
From approximate driving possition. Will need to cover dash & fit a perspex window over guages.

nib1980

posted on 8/3/07 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
looking good, a lot better than me, which isjust a nig hole, with a birds nest of wires!
jollygreengiant

posted on 8/3/07 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nib1980
looking good, a lot better than me, which isjust a nig hole, with a birds nest of wires!

Been through that phase, you'll find the photos in my archive. Still got some bids nest at the back but its controlable now.

nick205

posted on 8/3/07 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
That's the best use of a donor instrument pod I've ever seen by far. Looks really good
mainlandboy

posted on 8/3/07 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Looks neat and tidy. I also used the stock speedo and tach from my donor car (1982 Toyota Corolla) to save money. With a little bit of creative effort, it can be made to look pretty good. Here is a pic of it mostly done:

http://banga.org/ipw-web/gallery/Marks-Locost-Project/168_6840_IMG

Mark

RichardK

posted on 8/3/07 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Did mine a few months ago, quite please with a bit of mdf a router, camping foam, lexan and some vynl.

More in my gallery for the interested

Regards

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DavidM

posted on 8/3/07 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Coming along nicely Clive. That group pre SVA inspection may be sooner than we think.

David

Duncan_P

posted on 8/3/07 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
I think it looks great!

I had dismissed re-using my sierra instruments, but yours has got me considering using them again.

RichardK

posted on 8/3/07 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Clive, not 100% sure but I thought I read somewhere not to use perspex as it can shatter, this is what I was going to use, I was advised to use lexan which I got easily off ebay (an A3 sheet) which did the job great.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jollygreengiant

posted on 8/3/07 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Duncan_P
I think it looks great!

I had dismissed re-using my sierra instruments, but yours has got me considering using them again.

Started with striping the pod, plastic off front, unclip rear connector surrounds, undo nuts on connector pins, remove circuit sheet. Remove insturments from case. Then used hot cutter along rib on top that removed the upper forward lip. Then used an electric plane to bring it down to flush & level all round the front edge. Cut off carefully with hot cutter the old plates used to hold front perspex retainer clips.
I figure that if I put a thin bead seal on the lip that will seal against the eventual perspex frontage.
Marked the outline on my wood and cut out hole. Folded 2 metal plates to screw to the inner face of the wooden panel, these engage on the top lip of the pod. The bottom of the pod being retained on to the wood by 2 screws.

To finish I was thinking some carbonfibre type sheeting or padded vinyl. I shall sleep on it and think some more on it tomorrow.

Duncan_P

posted on 8/3/07 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Great, thanks for the info. I might fish the gauges out of there box in the garage and amuse SWMBO by taking it all apart on the dining table......I think its been long enough since any car parts being inside the house (bar the few bits in the study) for me to get away with it

Nearly chucked them the other day

wilkingj

posted on 8/3/07 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
The beauty of building your own car, is that you can usethe donor gauges, and then change at a later date when the funds permit. And sell on the old dash to recoup some cash.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

bbwales

posted on 8/3/07 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hi this is how I altered the Sierra dash for my build, but notice the deliberate mistake.
Regards
Bob

mistergrumpy

posted on 8/3/07 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
The fact you've put Locust instead of Locost ot the fact you've no needles on your gauges. Although there does seem to be one peeping through on the rev counter.

bbwales

posted on 9/3/07 at 12:38 AM Reply With Quote
Yes the printer manager to do the miss spelling, all the needles are there though

Bob

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.