Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hubs and Axles
Worzey

posted on 11/9/07 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Hubs and Axles

Managed to break the car over the weekend so might take it off the road for and start thinking about my winter project.

I've destroyed a rear wheel bearing and suspect the driveshaft maybe knacked.

The car weighs a heafty 620kgs (wet) which I think heavy for a stripped out 4AGE car with no screen and hences needs a diet.

I've been told the Velocity is quite "big" compared with other kits so it might be difficult to lose too much more weight.

I've currently got a standard sierra 3:91 Diff with Sierra driveshafts and Sierra disks and callipers (rear) and scorpio vented disks and calipers (front) so now is an ideal time to change as things are coming apart.

I was thinking of going for some Wilwood vented disks and 4 pot calipers but can I also get lightweight Sierra hubs/driveshafts?

Can someone point me in the right direction or make any other recomendations?

I'm assuming losing unsprung weight is my best route at this stage.

Caterham R400

NeilP

posted on 11/9/07 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on your budget, Chief - If you look at the thread on the V10 Viento then you'll see that Big John has sourced some very light uprights from the states (5 stud only IIRC). You can go even lighter uprights from Raceleda (not cheap) Wilwood all round on the brakes (ditto), carbon fibre on the cycle wings, lightweight seats, swap out any s/s panelling for ali, etc., etc. The list is endless if your pockets are bottomless...

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

mark-wiring

posted on 11/9/07 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
The up rights were Wilwood mustang 2 items along with the hubs that match they ony started doing the uprights this year and they do require a bit of adjustment to the top wishbone to actually make them work correctly.
We have ended up with being able to use in-situ camber adjusters which was more about me being fussy as i ddint loke the std way of doing it lol.
When the rear is done it too will be camber in-situ adjustable but the rear end is a lot heavier than a sierra as it all mustang find the driveshaft pic and you will see lol

Neils suggestions are really good but as he says how deep are ya pockets

http://www.v10viento.co.uk
Have to recommend
http://www.extraefi.co.uk/
For all Megasquirt needs

Worzey

posted on 12/9/07 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your comments. The raceleda uprights sound interesting but I'll need to get the business case signed of by my boss (read wife).

Willwoods all round sounds good so I should be able to get this organised over the winter months.

All panels are Ali already but the floor is stainless which is heavy but could be a big job to change.

Dave

Caterham R400

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.