Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT: Old VW Camper Question
James

posted on 3/7/08 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
OT: Old VW Camper Question

Bit OT I know but my girlfriend's sister has just bought a 1960 Split-screen camper. It's the single cab pickup truck type.

I've been looking at it today and trying to help out with the electrics... currently the only working lights are one headlight mainbeam and one brakelight on the same side!

Anyway, in the cab, next to the clutch pedal is a large switch with 3 large wires connected to it. It's presumably a foot switch..... any idea what it is?

Can find no mention in the workshop manual...

Thanks,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Fatgadget

posted on 3/7/08 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Dip Switch. Lots of old cars had foot operated dip switches.
James

posted on 3/7/08 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, nice one! Thankyou.

6 minutes for an OT reply.... not bad! God I love this site!

Any idea where the fuse box is while you're "in the zone"? Manual says behind the dash and a 2nd one by the fuel tank ( ) but can't find either!

Cheers!
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Dusty

posted on 3/7/08 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Very simple circuit. Battery tofuse to headlamp switch to dip switch. Dip switch is a single input to alternate outputs. One goes to main beams one to dipped beams. No relays.
Does the glove box drop down to reveal the fuses?

[Edited on 3/7/08 by Dusty]

mcerd1

posted on 3/7/08 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
https://www.europaspares.com/ELECTRICAL/SWITCHES/FLOOR_MOUNT_HEADLAMP_DIP_SWITCH___322100__4462.html
Mr Whippy

posted on 3/7/08 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Best place for the switch, leaves you hands free when going round a corner at night and you come across another car. You can get new ones at EuropaSpares. Same goes for wing mirrors on wings, totally stupid to have them on the doors, just creates blindspots which you don't have with wing mounted ones.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MkIndy7

posted on 3/7/08 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Best place for the switch, leaves you hands free when going round a corner at night and you come across another car. .

Not so good if you manage to switch it off when in a foreign country at the dead of night on an unlit road, when you change gear in and unfamiliar car tho! TR3a's tut

philw

posted on 3/7/08 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James

Anyway, in the cab, next to the clutch pedal is a large switch with 3 large wires connected to it. It's presumably a foot switch..... any idea what it is?

Thanks,
James

Exhaust brake

Must try harder

James

posted on 3/7/08 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the help everyone!

Found the fuses behind the wooden panels in front of driver/passenger's knees.

As everyone said, the foot switch is for dip and it works (on the side the headlight works!).
I put the multi-meter across the headlight connections.... +12v on the working light and nothing on the dead one so presumably that eliminates the bulb and means it's the power from the foot switch that is the problem where it branches out left and right.

Or, thinking about it, the fact that the rear light doesn't work on the same side.... does that mean it's the headlight switch itself that's duff?

The wiring's been well bodged before... with just wires twisted together and taped! Glad to say my Locost wiring was done much better!

Cheers,
James

darrens

posted on 3/7/08 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
you have a 1960 split screen camper pickup, so wish I had one...........
rusty nuts

posted on 3/7/08 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darrens
you have a 1960 split screen camper pickup, so wish I had one...........

You wouldn't want the one I used to have ! gutless, thirsty, crap performance , crap electrics but it had a nice bed in the back!

iank

posted on 3/7/08 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
As an OT post to an OT thread, when I was a kid (7 or 8) they brought a fire engine in to the schoolyard and let the kids crawl all over it (before H&S obviously). My mum and dad had a MkI Mini with a floor mounted dip, so I pressed the one on the fire engine as the other kids wrestled with the steering wheel - it's a floor mounted siren switch on a fire engine apparently. Much excitement ensued

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

kendo

posted on 3/7/08 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
Thanks for all the help everyone!

Found the fuses behind the wooden panels in front of driver/passenger's knees.

As everyone said, the foot switch is for dip and it works (on the side the headlight works!).
I put the multi-meter across the headlight connections.... +12v on the working light and nothing on the dead one so presumably that eliminates the bulb and means it's the power from the foot switch that is the problem where it branches out left and right.

Or, thinking about it, the fact that the rear light doesn't work on the same side.... does that mean it's the headlight switch itself that's duff?

The wiring's been well bodged before... with just wires twisted together and taped! Glad to say my Locost wiring was done much better!

Cheers,
James

More likely to be 6V I'd have thought.

[Edited on 3/7/08 by kendo]

rusty nuts

posted on 3/7/08 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Probably been converted to 12v ? the 6 v lighting was a joke

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.