Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost/7 front tow strap location?
ShaunB

posted on 26/12/11 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Locost/7 front tow strap location?

Fellow Locost & other '7' racers, where is your front tow strap attached?

Mines attached to a bracket on the frontmost chassis rail and the loop follows the underside of the nosecone. Near the front of the nosecone I have a thick elastic band between 2 small bolts and the loop passes through that to stop it dragging on the racetrack. All looks tidy enough, however I am concerned that if a recovery crew ever needed to use it to haul me out of the kitty litter they break the nose cone - so is there somewhere better?

Cheers,
Shaun.

[Edited on 26/12/11 by ShaunB]

macc man

posted on 26/12/11 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
I marshal at Oulton Park and it all depends on how damaged your car is. Very often a suspended tow is required if suspension is damaged. Sometimes the roll cage is used to tow out. As a rule we try to push cars to edge of the track for recovery. On my car it is fixed to beneath the nose cone, but a small length of nylon webbing is often added for towing.
ShaunB

posted on 28/12/11 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
I've been recovered 3 times so far, got 'assisted' into the gravel at Brands, no damage to the car, marshals pushed me out. Throttle cable snapped at Oulton, got towed in with a strap around the top of rollcage. Collision at Silverstone, bent front suspension, car lifted onto lowloader using front wheels and rear of rollcage.

Thought I'd seen a couple of locosts with the tow strap on one side, but wasn't sure where it was attached, maybe a wishbone bracket - not sure I'd want to get the whole car hauled out by such a setup though.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.