Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel tank protection
Twin40

posted on 3/4/12 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Fuel tank protection

Hey guys,

Has anyone got a few pics/link of some racing 7's showing the petrol tank area? I'm concerned the fuel tank on my Indy is particularly exposed, just looking for a few options of how to protect it....

Cheers

C.

scoop

posted on 3/4/12 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Are you going to race yours? If so get the rule book from whoever is organising the races and go from there.
Twin40

posted on 3/4/12 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Thats the plan, its not really a specific regulation issue, more of a self preservation one! Caterham regulations mention the use of honeycomb aluminium panels, just wondered if anyone here has used an alternative....?

here's a pic showing the current tank 'exposure' (obviously missing the rear panel)

Description
Description

[Edited on 3/4/12 by Twin40]

daniel mason

posted on 3/4/12 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
i see what you mean. you wouldnt want to ger a rear end shunt in that! i cant see how you could protect it massively, i was wondering the same as my mnr is similar and there are so many idiots on the road it may be worth investigating

scoop

posted on 3/4/12 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
How about turning it 180 and mounting it above your diff? But then that's raises the weight. Or in the passenger side to balance the car? Ther is so little space to play with.
Bluemoon

posted on 3/4/12 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
On my indy I had MK put the old back hoop on (as per book) and vertical uprights behind the tank, this also allows a spare wheel fixing point in it's center.. Thus my tank is surrounded by the space frame.. I don't have a full cage..

Cheers

Dan

jacko

posted on 3/4/12 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scoop
How about turning it 180 and mounting it above your diff? But then that's raises the weight. Or in the passenger side to balance the car? Ther is so little space to play with.

That's how mine is above the diff i think it helps with traction and helps stop the pendulum effect
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
spiderman

posted on 3/4/12 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scoop
Or in the passenger side to balance the car?

Not a good place if you get T Boned, ruptured tank next to the driver in the passenger compartment. Not for me thanks.

Spider

scoop

posted on 3/4/12 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
No matter where you sit in the car you are no more than a couple of feet from the tank
Just keep it full!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.