Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: mx5 engine info and tuning
55ant

posted on 18/7/10 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
mx5 engine info and tuning

OK! so im going to pick up am mk1 1.8 mx5 tommorow! now this will be more of track car and i know its not a locost but i seem to remember quite a few people using this engine and running gear, so i thought i would ask if there are any simple routes to go down tuning wise, this engine i thought was similar to the 1.8 zetec unit, so can the 2.0 cams from a zetec produce the same gains?or is it all differant due to valve timing etc, any tips on how to get the most out of the little car would be most apreciated,

Ant.

away from cars, now cycling and building TT bikes

MakeEverything

posted on 18/7/10 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Megasquirt is a popular power upgrade which will open doors to turbo . supercharging etc.

There is an MX5 supercharger kit available, but personally, i think i would prefer to make my own locost stylee.

Get a 2 or 3mm sandwich plate laser cut and use 2 head gaskets to put on an RS cosworth turbocharger on it. Failing that, the mini superchargers still go for about £100 - £150. This coupled with megasquirt would be a quick win without any major upgrades to the engine although i think liners and pistons are available, but as with all pistons etc, youll pay the higher prices here.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

l0rd

posted on 18/7/10 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
don't know. But if you need a clutch i have a Sachs one that will be getting on ebay soon and also a gearbox although these are bulletproof.

The 1.6, is the one that most people seem to prefer for upgrades and you can find more bolt on upgrade parts than the 1.8.

Just my little knowledge

Mad Dave

posted on 18/7/10 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Road Runner Racing will soon have bolt on turbo kits for the MX5 1.6 or 1.8 engines. They currently have a 1.8 turbo demo car nearing completion and a 1.6 turbo track car with stupid BHP.

The guy you need to speak to is Lee on 01709 526510 or enquire here Road Runner Racing

martylemoo

posted on 18/7/10 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Supercharge it, I have done 4 conversions now and the power delivery is perfect.

Just out of interest how do you find the 1.8 engine? I have a 1.8 on my drive ATM and compared to my previous 1.6 cars it seems nowhere near as rev happy. May just be me or my particular car.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.