Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rollbar for hillclimb use?
Cornishman

posted on 26/7/11 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Rollbar for hillclimb use?

Hi, I have been searching through some of the rollbar/rollcage topics for a few days now and can see that it can be a slightly contentious issue!!

I am intending to return to speed hillclimbing after a break of 10 years or more and am looking at using a Locost or similar type vehicle.
I am currently looking at a couple of former 750 motor club cars that fit the bill, and could most likely be adapted and developed for hillclimb use.
My question regards the roll bar or cage. 750 club regs demand the use of a 6 point cage as per blue book etc etc. The MSA hillclimb (S) and safety (K) regs appear to indicate that a basic rollbar is sufficient for vehicles under 2000cc and this is borne out by my experience spectating at some local hills this year.
The rollcage on the cars I am looking at does not appear to meet the new circuit racing/750mc rules and is certainly not approved or certificated so I will have to remove it. I wish to fit a basic rollbar as per the drawings in the blue book. but all the info that gets discussed concerns the more elaborate and heavier 6 point full cages for circuit racing use.
I would be interested to hear from anyone with speed event experience regarding fabrication or purchase of suitable roll bar that meets speed event regs.
Thanks in anticipation of any help.

Steve

phelpsa

posted on 26/7/11 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
I have one in my garage that is to MSA regulations and will fit a book chassis. I went full cage so no longer needed. It was bought from Stuart Taylor about 6 years ago and never used.

As in this picture:

I think it cost me about £150, yours for £100.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
procomp

posted on 26/7/11 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

The 750 regs you refere to are specificaly for a championship with a full cage. You need to follow the blue book general regs. IE 45mm rollbar with diag and rear stays. Or buy the one above.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
minitici

posted on 26/7/11 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Steve, What category will you be running the car in?
For a fully road registered and road legal condition car you do not require a roll bar or cage (but is highly recommended)...

For non-road categories there are MSA minimum requirements for ROPS and these can vary depending on the exact category entered - you need to have a look at the MSA blue book to find which are applicable.

There is no such thing as an "MSA approved" roll bar or cage - only bars and cages which meet the criterial set out in the blue book.

Cornishman

posted on 26/7/11 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent, thanks for the responses so far.

I am going to be running (hopefully) in the modified class because the cars I'm looking at are not SVA'd and therefore not road legal.
I have studied the diagrams and text in the blue book and I think I have a reasonable understanding but would still appreciate any comments or advice anyone has.
The South West championship that I will intend to run in doesnt specifically request a full ROPS system, it just makes reference to the MSA blue book. The blue book seems to suggest that I can run a roll bar as pictured rather than a full ROPS.
Once I have got a car to work on and alter for hillclimb use then my next sensible step would be to contact the championship scrutineer for guidance, although based on my specating this year it seems like I am correct in my assumption.
The cage pictured is the sort of thing I had in mind, as long as the tubing is the right diameter then I am very interested, thanks.
My location might be a problem as South East Cornwall is along way from anywhere and roll bars arn't easy to post!!!
If we can come up with a way around this then that would be great!!

Regards

Steve

Mike Wood

posted on 6/2/12 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Is this roll bar still for sale?

Thanks
Mike

quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
I have one in my garage that is to MSA regulations and will fit a book chassis. I went full cage so no longer needed. It was bought from Stuart Taylor about 6 years ago and never used.

As in this picture:

I think it cost me about £150, yours for £100.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.