Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: squeaky bushes
brookie

posted on 16/11/11 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
squeaky bushes

right had a problem with my bushes on my indy this summer, so what do u use on your bushes in yore kitcar
foskid

posted on 16/11/11 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
You can use some silicone grease or petroleum jelly(Vaseline) of even copperslip. If you run around in the wet a lot try some lithium grease.

He knows nothing and thinks he knows everything. That points clearly to a political career.
George Bernard Shaw

spiderman

posted on 16/11/11 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Rubber or polybushes? If the later may be that pinch tubes are too short, they should protude about 2mm outside of bushes.

Spider

brookie

posted on 16/11/11 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spiderman
Rubber or polybushes? If the later may be that pinch tubes are too short, they should protude about 2mm outside of bushes.

im sure it the polybushes m8 dont think i oil them when i striped them last winter

rusty nuts

posted on 16/11/11 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Do a search for crush tubes
RichardK

posted on 17/11/11 at 01:02 AM Reply With Quote
Red rubber grease for me,just be careful of using anything which can rot the bushes themselves.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alfa145

posted on 17/11/11 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
Squeeky bushes are normally caused by the bushes being as wide or wider than the inner crush tube. So when you tighten up your suspension bolts the suspension bracket grips the bush not the crush tube. Then when you go over a bump its the bush squeeking against the suspension bracket, not the arm pivoting on the bush as intended. As said, make sure your crush tubes are up to 2mm longer than the bushes when fitted. You might have to sand down the ouside of the bushed to achieve this.

I re-bushed all my very squeeky suspension a few weeks ago and made sure the crush tubes were protruding 2mm and now it doesn't squeek at all and I can feel a massive improvememnt in suspension smoothness too.

[Edited on 17/11/11 by Alfa145]

brookie

posted on 17/11/11 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
so it that 2mm per side of the bush 4mm total or 1mm each side bush 2mm total if u now what i mean lol
lucy

posted on 18/11/11 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
This topic crops up quite a bit on the Westfield forum and most suggest that greasing the crush tube stops the polybush squeaking as it rotates around it. It worked for me.
I would also agree that correct length crush tube and bush is important.
If the crush tube is already the correct length, what is the best way to shave 2mm off the polybush?

Alfa145

posted on 18/11/11 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Its 1mm per side so 2mm in total. In reality you need to remove just enough so the suspension bracket grips the crush tube not the bush when you tighten the bolt. Also stick a bit of silicone grease on the crush tube so it lubricates the inside of the bush allowing it to pivot.
procomp

posted on 18/11/11 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

"2mm" Do you have any idea how much play and geometry change that gives!!!. It wouldn't pass an MOT.

The general method is to replace the cheap mild steel inner tubes with stainless items and be no more than 0.5 mm longer than the bush overall. The problem you have is that the majority of kit manufacturers don't exactly have a close tolerance on the outer wishbone housing and the PLASTIC bushes have a tolerance also. That requires every bush setup and bracket to be treated as individual when it comes to sizing the length of the inner tube.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alfa145

posted on 18/11/11 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Fair point, all cars suspension are different and what worked for me might not be exactly the same measurements for everyone. But thats what I've done on my trailing/leading arms. No more squeeking and it passed it's MOT like that.

The best way is to have a professional setup your bushes to perfectly match your mounting points as Procomp says. I would have done but thats not something I could afford.

phelpsa

posted on 18/11/11 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a 3/4" reamer. Bonded the bushes into the wishbones then reamed through the centre, making sure that the bush could rotate freely on the crush tube. No more problems!

EDIT: That's along with 1mm longer stainless crush tubes.

EDIT 2: Obviously you will still have the problem of the two bushes not being coaxial causing them to bind slightly, but that's just down to manufactuing tolerances.

[Edited on 18-11-11 by phelpsa]

[Edited on 18-11-11 by phelpsa]

rusty nuts

posted on 18/11/11 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Sorted my noisy bushes by removing each suspension arm in turn and clamping each crush tube in a vice to check turning resistance , removed each poly bush and place each one in a lathe with the crush tube in place and turned a few thou off the outer edge of each one , reassembled the bushes and retried in the vice until each bush assembly rotated under the weight of the wishbone . Assembled with rubber grease. Stopped all noise and suspension was then compliant, suspect some early cases of failed wishbones may have been partially caused by siezed bush assemblies?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.