posted on 19/11/11 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
what is allowed

Hi
currentley building a engine for the locost series

what is allowed on the valve timing

read through the regs it says that offset dowels are allowed
but is vernier sprokets or duel sprokets allowed

TrollyJack

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locost47

posted on 19/11/11 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
locost eng

offset dowel yes to get perfect timing but no vernier allowed
Trollyjack

posted on 20/11/11 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
thanks

TrollyJack

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DixieTheKid

posted on 20/11/11 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Thats supid! Can you not sick a cam cover over the top would they remove it and check?

COS IT'S Worth IT

TimC

posted on 20/11/11 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DixieTheKid
Thats supid!

Why stupid? Its about a level playing field and about trying to minimise the amount of expensive parts involved.

quote:
Originally posted by DixieTheKid
Can you not sick a cam cover over the top would they remove it and check?

Err, yes - they'll strip the head if need be.

[Edited on 20/11/11 by TimC]

steveiow

posted on 20/11/11 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Lol, yes. They would check.

Regs are there to be observed not blatantly ignored.

Who would want to win knowing they had done it illegally?

The essence of the Locost series is that it is pretty much down to driver skill, and certainly not budget, and people operating outside the regs soon find the paddock a rather lonely place to be.

2012 Locost Race Car #12 - for everything Locost Racing: www.SEWC.co.uk

DixieTheKid

posted on 20/11/11 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
bloody hell!

COS IT'S Worth IT

locost47

posted on 20/11/11 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
locost eng

scruttineers will & have removed heads /cam shafts & will find the cheats out & in many classes they have
DixieTheKid

posted on 20/11/11 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Im not saying cheat, what im saying is that its supid that you can use off-set dowels as apposed to varniers.

COS IT'S Worth IT

procomp

posted on 20/11/11 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

There is only 2 real choices with the valve timing. Your either going for bottom/mid range grunt or a higher revving top end setup. Use a decent manifold to suit the chosen setup and your sorted once you have the correct jetting to suit. The only thing to note is that due to Kent cams having a "tolerance" in their machining you cant take it for granted that there recommended figures are correct. Take multiple readings on all 4 cylinders.

As mentioned the Locost championship is one off the closest matched formulas in the UK. And as proved again this year those who take the wee with the regulations are caught. And again for 2012 the regulations are being further tightened to ensure equal performance.

Cheers Matt

alistairolsen

posted on 21/11/11 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Seems daft, as the rolling road time is the largest expense, so if I was of a mind, Id be fitting a vernier, running it on the rollers to find the ideal timing, then getting the correct offset dowel to replicate that timing without the vernier. Thus the allowance of timing adjustment means Ive either purchased two parts, or wasted rolling road time swapping dowels in and out.

I'm all for the championship but that one doesnt make sense to me!

My Build Thread

D Beddows

posted on 21/11/11 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Well yes that's obviously what people do A lot of the rules were devised with 'low cost' in mind - most of the really silly ones (like not being allowed to use a 2000E gearbox BUT you could spend 4 times the price of a 2000E box getting a Type 9 with the same 'standard Ford' ratios built up) have gone but there's still a couple that don't appear to make much sense. Rules is rules though and over the years there have been numerous........ how shall we put it.......... cheating b*stards.......... so they are there and enforced for very good reasons
Neville Jones

posted on 21/11/11 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
I take it that a knock sensor in the electronic ignition box is a no no.
D Beddows

posted on 22/11/11 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
No, as I recall several people used to hide that sort of thing in their 'datalogging' boxes instead........
Neville Jones

posted on 22/11/11 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
On the subject of being acceptable, to digress a little, I had an interesting conversation with Keith Messer regarding alternative front lower ball joints. Procomp Matt was stood by as well, listening intently.

Keith's reply to what I was proposing, was that 'it should be able to be made by a carpenter on his keitchen table, with normal workshop tools.' He implied I was a professional, which I am, but i don't earn my living just building cars. So I'm not a professional car builder.

Depending on how good a carpenter a man is, and what you define as 'normal workshop tools', the options would seem, for a man like me, to be fairly wide spread.

Cheers,
Nev.

D Beddows

posted on 22/11/11 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Wood.......... so that's where I was going wrong all those years.........

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.