Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MX5 1.6 vs 1.8
Padstar

posted on 15/7/12 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
MX5 1.6 vs 1.8

I currently have the older 1.6 model as a donor for the running gear. I would like the best performance possible from the build so will the 1.6 cut the mustard or should I change now before I start?

I have heard that the diff from the 1.6 is inferior to the latter model. Is this true?

Final thing is are the mounting points the same for each MX5 engine and transition the same (ie will I be able to pull the older one out after registration and change for the newer at a later date if I wanted to

chillis

posted on 15/7/12 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
To answer your last question first: The front subframe that the engine bolts to, is the same as is the gearbox. Flyin' Miata do a conversion kit so you can keep your existing engine management. This includes engine mounting brackets, throttle body adapter, egr blank, coil pack bracket and a few other odds and ends.

If I were building a seven style car I'd stick with the 1.6L, it makes all its power at the top end and feels much more like a sports car engine.
I've done nearly 200000 miles in my '92 mx5 1.6L and had no trouble with the (vlsd) diff, which contrary to what everyone claims, is still working, and has a better ratio for a sports car anyway.
You could easily build from a 1.6L base if thats what you have and fit a 1.8L motor later on if you felt the need.

bigdrew

posted on 15/7/12 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
If it is a late UK 1.6 (after 1994) it will only be the 88HP engine, which you don't want. If its a Jap import (Eunos) it will be 118HP regardless of its age.

The 1.8 were more like 130HP I think.

skov

posted on 15/7/12 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
I'd stick with the 1.6 (I have!).
It's 'revvier', and the 1.8 running gear supposedly carries a ~40kg weight penalty which will negate much of the additional power.
If I find I want more power in the future I'll either turbo it, or stick a Mk2.5 1.8 in there, which bolts straight to the gearbox and is around 150bhp in standard trim.

coozer

posted on 15/7/12 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Stick a V8 in it.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Not Anumber

posted on 15/7/12 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
The 1.6 will provide plenty of power especially if its the 115/118 bhp version. Use what you have and if you feel you need more power at any stage in the future you can go for the turbo conversion.
Chippy

posted on 15/7/12 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Not Anumber
The 1.6 will provide plenty of power especially if its the 115/118 bhp version. Use what you have and if you feel you need more power at any stage in the future you can go for the turbo conversion.

Or do a Claire and stick a V6 in it. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

indykid

posted on 15/7/12 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
The 1.8 has bigger brakes, bigger clutch and the option of a Torsen diff. All can be retrofitted to a 1.6 (you need the shorter 1.8 prop (so weigh this up before you get a prop made) and halfshafts to fit the diff) so it's not the end of the world if you don't get them on your donor.

The 1.6 is the better engine though imho. I've had both in mx5s and the 1.6 felt just as quick as the 1.8 I have now. It absolutely loves to be revved.

The 1.6 diff has been known to strip teeth off the ring gear and crack bearing caps, even with stock power, but you shouldn't have any problems with the weight of a locost, or if you drive with even a shred of mechanical sympathy. It's only available in open and VLSD flavours though.

The 1.6 diffs are 4.3:1, the 1.8 diffs are typically 4.1:1 (though also come in 4.3, 3.9 and 3.6 ratios from the RS Ltd and 6 speed box versions)

bigdrew

posted on 15/7/12 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Don't expect the VLSD to work anymore unless you are very lucky, most are just open. Mine certainly is!
Padstar

posted on 15/7/12 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
My donor is a 98 uk spec so will it only be 90bhp? My first saxo 13 years ago had more horses?

So I am getting the feel from most of you guys that the 1.6 is a good option? Should I be looking to match with a later dif? I should have the dif striped out and cleaned up in the next few weeks so will see what condition it is in before I make any rash divisions

It's good that the later 1.8 bolts straight into the earlier gearbox.

Using the engine and transition from the donor should also get me an age related plate of an R. I want to try and avoid a Q if possible ( for the sole reason that I can then get a private plate if I wanted to)

chillis

posted on 15/7/12 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigdrew
If it is a late UK 1.6 (after 1994) it will only be the 88HP engine, which you don't want. If its a Jap import (Eunos) it will be 118HP regardless of its age.

The 1.8 were more like 130HP I think.

I believe the post '94 Eunos import is still 115HP the 88HP engine was mainly for the U/S market.

chillis

posted on 15/7/12 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Padstar
My donor is a 98 uk spec so will it only be 90bhp? My first saxo 13 years ago had more horses?

So I am getting the feel from most of you guys that the 1.6 is a good option? Should I be looking to match with a later dif? I should have the dif striped out and cleaned up in the next few weeks so will see what condition it is in before I make any rash divisions

It's good that the later 1.8 bolts straight into the earlier gearbox.

Using the engine and transition from the donor should also get me an age related plate of an R. I want to try and avoid a Q if possible ( for the sole reason that I can then get a private plate if I wanted to)

A '98 1.6L should have the later 7" diff like the 1.8 but with a better ratio. Only pre '94 1.6L had the small diff. So you should be good to go and fit the 1.8L engine later on.

chillis

posted on 15/7/12 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigdrew
Don't expect the VLSD to work anymore unless you are very lucky, most are just open. Mine certainly is!

My V spec VLSD has done almost 200000 miles nearly 320000Kilo's and it still works! But the VLSD doesn't work like a plate locker which is generally why most people don't think they work/have stopped working.

indykid

posted on 15/7/12 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Chillis, you're feeding in a lot of misinformation there.

The mk2 1.6 got the 7" diff and bigger brakes.

If it's a UK car on an R plate though, it's a mk1, so is 88bhp and has little discs and the weak diff. There were no JDM mk1 1.6s made post '93, only 1.8s. The UK market got the derated 1.6 to make a gap between the 115bhp original car and the new 130bhp 1.8.

I'd be inclined to find a different donor as you have the least desirable of all the bits, though what you have will give you a running car. Being an R plate though, it'll need a cat. I'd try find an earlier one.

bigdrew

posted on 15/7/12 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indykid
Chillis, you're feeding in a lot of misinformation there.

The mk2 1.6 got the 7" diff and bigger brakes.

If it's a UK car on an R plate though, it's a mk1, so is 88bhp and has little discs and the weak diff. There were no JDM mk1 1.6s made post '93, only 1.8s. The UK market got the derated 1.6 to make a gap between the 115bhp original car and the new 130bhp 1.8.

I'd be inclined to find a different donor as you have the least desirable of all the bits, though what you have will give you a running car. Being an R plate though, it'll need a cat. I'd try find an earlier one.

They are so cheap and easy to get hold of I think a new donor would be your best bet...

Padstar

posted on 16/7/12 at 05:50 AM Reply With Quote
Thanksfor all the help guys. Can u suggest what model I should go for so that I get the correct donor this time round..

My only issue is that I don't have the space to break a donor car down so need to buy it as already fully broken or at least the running gear only that I can finish breaking in the garage.

I plan to use new steering, upright, hub and break gear so I require limited parts from a donor vehicle

Just to be sure we are all confirmed that no mater what model I go for the mounting points are the same (this will allow me to crack on with the chassis)

[Edited on 16/7/12 by Padstar]

indykid

posted on 16/7/12 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Padstar
Just to be sure we are all confirmed that no mater what model I go for the mounting points are the same (this will allow me to crack on with the chassis)

Yep, crack on

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.