Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: luego velocity build manual / IVA
nadwgbr

posted on 4/9/12 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
luego velocity build manual / IVA

hello all.......new here and about to take ownership of an (old....7 years-ish in boxes) unassembled velocity kit and assortment of donor parts....have had a look around the posts and forum but can't find any specific links to build manuals.....does one exist and does anyone have a copy they can post a link to......cheers..

Also i know luego don't offer this car anymore as a road going option that will pass IVA but only as a track car.....anything i need to be aware of in order to get this built and through IVA?!

bigdrew

posted on 4/9/12 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
I've not looked at the links but that looks promising!

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=7089

I did have a copy of it but I have formatted my PC since and got rid of the cd's it was originally on..

nadwgbr

posted on 4/9/12 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
cheers for that drew but unfortunately the link has expired! ....oh well, early days.......anyone else have any current info on velocity build manuals.....or even if they were worth the paper they were printed on?? ta..
DanP

posted on 4/9/12 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
I Have a PDF copy of the velocity manual, its got a decent amount of information in but it is not totally complete.

U2U me your email and I will send it to you.

Cheers,
Dan

oggierock

posted on 5/9/12 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
I have a complete copy. Electronically. If you U"U me your email I`ll happpily send you it.
wilkingj

posted on 5/9/12 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Not totally relavent, but this might help a bit..

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/forms/~/media/pdf/leaflets/inf26.ashx

Also this is a copy of the IVA manual from earlier this year sop should be reasonably up to date.

http://www.mevltd.co.uk/mev/m1_inspection%20_manual_v7.01april2012.pdf

Hope this helps.

[Edited on 5/9/2012 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nadwgbr

posted on 5/9/12 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers all...........have recieved a nice pdf build manual now from a very helpful chap...cheers chris....next question, does anyone know of any glaring mistakes it may contain?! ......have seen a few posts mentioning a couple of 'errors' in it but was wondering if anyone had any more specific info on this.....one reported error related to suspension mountings and 'backing off' of nuts that should be 'Tight' etc.....any more gems like this would be nice to know in advance if anyone's already been there and bought the t-shirt as it were......... cheers guys..

And thanks for the IVA link wilkingj.....will be taking a look as soon as i get a chance..

rusty nuts

posted on 5/9/12 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Do a search on here for crush tubes, the ones supplied by Luego were too short and caused the suspension to almost sieze up when the bolts were tightened correctly . If I were building mine from scratch I would source some correct size stainless steel crush tubes . Better to sort it out before you start to build the car. Easy to check all you have to do is assemble the bushes and crush tube then nip the crush tube in a vice, the wishbones should rotate freely in fact drop under their own weight. Slackening the bolts is a bodge and asking for trouble. Welcome by the way

PS Put your location in your profile , there may be a Locoster near to you

[Edited on 5/9/12 by rusty nuts]

nadwgbr

posted on 11/9/12 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
just a quick update.....have had a quick chat with ben i think it was at luego and he see's no reason why an 8-10 year old kit sat waiting to be assembled should be any harder to get through IVA then any other 7 kit purchased more recently from somewhere else..........although he did also mention the crush tubes and build 'errors' in the manual regarding 'backing off' of the suspension mounting bolts........he said he thought there might be a few more 'errors' in it but couldn't quite recall off the top of his head..............so if anyone knows of any other howlers, please let me know.......in the meantime i am preparing space in the garage and dusting off the spanners...kit of bits looks relatively complete and will hopefully do a full inventory on it over the next couple of weeks..

Oh and good point rusty nuts about putting my location in the profile.....turns out i do indeed have a couple of builders in the neighbourhood.........hello to you and wilkingj! .........you might find you get a few u2u's sometime in the near future for some pointers if that's ok.......seriously though, would be good at some point to maybe come and have a look at what you've built, if you still have it, and discuss any problems/solutions you came up with along the way.........especially with regard to the IVA requirements...... or anything else you think might prove useful along the way............ cheers guys.

rusty nuts

posted on 11/9/12 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Whereabouts in Cambridge are you, I'm in Great Shelford and Geoff, wilkingj is in Hardwick, ?

Another possible problem is clearance on the steering column where it passes one of the chassis rails , I believe it was close on book chassis's . Some Sierra downlinks are bigger diameter than others but Rally Design sell steering shafts and couplings. Probably worth fitting a self aligning bearing (£10) where the steering column passes through the bulk head as the Sierra column bush isn't exactly in line with the column. I managed to bend my rear uprights which I have now straightened and reinforced, not sure if the Velocity was modified , some , if not all Viento's were reinforced. Might be worth reinforcing yours before building? Original Luego powder coating is cr*p , I ended up stripping the car to the bare chassis , stripping off the powder coating before treating the chassis with Por15 and topcoating with Hardnose paint from Frosts. Check yours for damage

nadwgbr

posted on 11/9/12 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers.......Am in cambridge cambridge.....city...will send you a u2u and maybe we can meet for a chat.....
Andybarbet

posted on 11/9/12 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
I dont see any reason it wont IVA ok, I have a 7 year old chassis etc, waiting to be built, some major life issues since I bought it but finally getting close to hitting it

Im in North Herts so not too far away either.

RichB

posted on 11/9/12 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Yay. Glad to hear I'm not the only one with a Velocity on pause!

I'm up in Sawtry btw but will only be of limited use - I've fixed all the problems in theory!

Rich

nadwgbr

posted on 13/9/12 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
hi Rich

glad to hear it! ....you can let me know any progress and/or solutions you come across if/when/as/and how you get round to it! ....i'm currently searching and looking at other peoples build blogs and photo histories etc of all different 7 type builds to gather as many tips and pointers i can find along the way before i start.......... good luck!

dan.

RichB

posted on 13/9/12 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Dan

There's so much info on here and all of the guys I've taken advice from have been invaluable.
I've had some issues getting things straight in my head around the 4age engine. Parts from Japan/Aus/US perhaps an oversight!
Powdercoat is poor, rear wings too narrow, crush tubes have been mentioned. I got a bit obsessed about the interior way too early to the extent of stitching leather while the engine was on a pallet in the corner!
The whole project went on hold when my son was born 3 yrs ago. Didn't stop the research/collating parts though. Now 'daddy's got a race car' hopefully I can get some spanner time! If you can dedicate a block of time like taking week of leave then you can get so much done and carry the momentum into the following weekends. Trying to grab the odd hour after work can get really difficult.

I hope some of this helps. If you've got any specifics just u2u or better still post them here and you get the answer (or 10 different answers) within a day or two.

Good luck

Rich

wilkingj

posted on 17/9/12 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Yes... a week off work is a big booster. However, plan well ahead and to do more jobs than you can get done in a week. The if one job comes to a halt, you have other jobs that you have prepared for and then dont waste your time off work. You probably wont finish ALL the jobs, but you can make best use fo the time.
Another thing that helped me, was to do a little bit very often. ie rub down a metal bracket and prime one evening, then paint the next night and so on.
ie lots of very small steps gets the work done. Leaving it for months and then doing a big push, is a bit more stress full. Little and often is a very good way to go, also amass the parts first for a job.. it saves lost time.

Cheers

Geoff

[Edited on 17/9/2012 by wilkingj]

Best Regards
Geoff

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 17/9/12 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Also this is a copy of the IVA manual from earlier this year sop should be reasonably up to date.

http://www.mevltd.co.uk/mev/m1_inspection%20_manual_v7.01april2012.pdf

No major changes but the latest IVA manual is May 2012
http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/Transport_files/IVA_M1_Inspection_Manual_1.pdf

This link should update to the latest manual automatically

Mistral Motorsport

Irony

posted on 18/9/12 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
Mines not a velocity but a viento. I bought a 3-7 year old car that had been poorly built up to the 'rolling' stage. I don't know the actual age. I think the crush tubes are the most obvious errors.

As mentioned I think you should check the condition of the powder coating as see if it of poor quality. If it is of poor quality then you have a choice. You can plough on with the build with the realisation that after a couple of years your going to have to strip the car again and have it blasted/repaint. Or you can have it blasted/repaint now and run the risk of chipping it as you build the car. I checked my powdercoat and the worst parts are by far the plate sections rather than the box sections. The steel floor (which you may or may not have) I stripped and repaint. I am a bit clumsy so I decided to build the car first.

wilkingj

posted on 18/9/12 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
Mines not a velocity but a viento. I bought a 3-7 year old car that had been poorly built up to the 'rolling' stage. I don't know the actual age. I think the crush tubes are the most obvious errors.

As mentioned I think you should check the condition of the powder coating as see if it of poor quality. If it is of poor quality then you have a choice. You can plough on with the build with the realisation that after a couple of years your going to have to strip the car again and have it blasted/repaint. Or you can have it blasted/repaint now and run the risk of chipping it as you build the car. I checked my powdercoat and the worst parts are by far the plate sections rather than the box sections. The steel floor (which you may or may not have) I stripped and repaint. I am a bit clumsy so I decided to build the car first.

The Poor powder coating was caused by poor prep of the surfaces.
They didnt sandblast the chassis first, so there wasnt much for the powder to key onto when it was heated.

I touched up mine with tractor chassis paint (wonderful stuff and Pig P*ss proof!)
I also sprayed the front of the footwells with Stone chip, and that has held up rather well.

Best Regards
Geoff

DanP

posted on 18/9/12 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thankfully they messed up my order and my chassis wasn't powder-coated when i came to pick it up like it was meant to be so had to have it done locally at home and it was fully blasted, hot zinc undercoated and then powder-coated.

Quite grateful for the mixup now when i hear stories like that!

Browser

posted on 26/1/14 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to resurrect a zombie thread but would I be able to trouble someone for a copy of the Velocity build manual if they still have it in PDF format please?

nye

posted on 19/11/14 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
I would also be very interested in one if somebody's got one?
Andybarbet

posted on 19/11/14 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
I think I have it on disc, if no one can help out, I can probably do a couple of copies in a week or so, im snowed under at the moment.

If you get no joy, drop me a u2u nearer the end of the month & I will see what I can sort out.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

nadwgbr

posted on 19/11/14 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
hi....still have a pdf copy here.......U2U's sent..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.