Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Total Muppet needs help !
Disgruntled karter

posted on 5/4/13 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
Total Muppet needs help !

Hi

I'm trying to upload some photo's to my archive for the first time but I keep getting an error message saying the file format is not supported (JPG)

secondly how do you add photo's directly to a post

This may all be complicated by the fact that not only am I now totally PC inept ( sad for an ex PC support engineer, but in my defence when I worked in the field we were still loading windows 3.1 from floppy disks!)

But also I now live 'on the dark side'......I'm a Mac user

Any suggestions (polite ones) gratefully received

Thanks Graham

twybrow

posted on 5/4/13 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Graham,

Some suggestions for you:

1. Photos must not be too large. If they are really large, then the upload will fail. Try to resize them before you upload (it also helps keep them viewable on a normal screen. I would suggest you reduce size to 800x600 or similar.
2. All photos on the site must have a unique file name - therefore if your photos are named 'engine' or 'kit car' expect that someone else has already used those file names
3. If you photo is hosted (stored) online somewhere else (or you want to use a photo that is from another website), then you need to copy the link for that photo. Right click on the photo you want, and you should be able to see the address of that photo (sometimes found under Properties when you right click). Copy that link, and then in the thread you are writing, click the insert image button (the yellowish button, 6th from the right). When you click that, a popup box comes up and asks you for the link to the image. Paste the link you just copied into the box, and click ok - you have just inserted an image directly into your thread. Remember - this is not a link FROM YOUR COMPUTER, it only works when the image is hosted online somewhere.
4. You can of course upload images to your Photo Archive on the site and then link them from the photo archive. This is arguably even easier, as all you need to do is go into your archive, and there is a little box that says 'forum code'. Copy that and paste it directly into your thread, and voila, you have posted an image.

For another approach, check out this guide.

Best of luck!

Disgruntled karter

posted on 5/4/13 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks my files were to large !

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.