Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: mx5 buyers guide?
ravingfool

posted on 6/8/13 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
mx5 buyers guide?

Hi All,

It's been a long time since I last pestered the mad house for some advice but I'm currently in a bit of bother with cars and could use some sensible comments about the most important things to check on a reasonably old mx5.

I've had a mk2.5 previously which was great but as my current gas guzzler has decided to lunch its engine (a little earlier than expected - rx8, it was always coming) and I've just moved house, I don't have much spare cash for a replacement run-around.

I'm thinking about an early mk2 or as late a mk1 as I can afford (probably less than £1,000).

I know sills need checking and I understand the diffs can wear and whine under load but do you have any other nuggets of wisdom for me when I view some ropey mx5s?

Also, what's the consensus here, would you prefer a higher mileage but newer year or a low mileage and older car? I'm obviously put off by high mileage as a natural reaction but I'm actually thinking a higher mileage but newer car might be better maintained and more likely to last another 6 - 12 months without too much additional expense (haha!).

Thanks in advance.

Phill

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 6/8/13 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
rust! check everywhere for rust especially the sills as you mentioned.

The engines are fairly bullet proof, and easy to work on. Paint fade is the main issue i've had. Bushes wear, but are cheap and fairly easy to replace. Early Mk1 1600's can have a weird gearbox noise - not damaging but really irritating. See an old thread i started.

Windows will be slow but can be repaired, water pumps can fail so worth changing, otherwise its just usual wear and tear really.

This is my third, and its much the same as the other two - cheap, reliable and fun. The only downfall is rust so i'd always buy on condition rather than on mileage.

1k should get you a good mk1 - I personally prefer the pop up headlights

ravingfool

posted on 6/8/13 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
That's great, just the kind of useful response I was after!

Points noted, I'll start doing the rounds soon.

I've always had a soft spot for the mk1 with pop up headlights but last time I was in the market I had a little more to play with and I thought that it was worth spending out for trouble free motoring and I got exactly that. This time I've got to be a bit more pragmatic but I'm enthusiastic about any mx5 given my previous experience and general positive views that seem to be prevalent.

Thanks,

Phill

coozer

posted on 6/8/13 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
How about slinging a Chevy 5.7 in the RX8??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

bigdrew

posted on 6/8/13 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
My mk1 cost me a few hundred quid. with no service history, not much oil in the engine, and 140000km

Don't worry about miles they are pretty bomb proof, if not a new engine costs a lot less than getting rust sorted out.

Mk2's seem to be worse for rust than the mk1's

Early mk1's (pre 1992 ish) might have a short nose engine which have been know to fail. Short nose engine has 4 slots in the crank pulley long nose has 8.

If you get a late 1.6 (after 1994 maybe?) make sure it is an import or it will only have 90 hp oppose to 115.

Check the roof is reasonable / water tight. Ask owner questions about the drain holes to see if she is clued up on general maintenance. Check for wet boot (sign that rain rail is knackered) or wet parcel shelf. Sign the drain plugs haven't been cleared.

bigdrew

posted on 6/8/13 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Look for condition rather than age or mileage I would say
rdodger

posted on 6/8/13 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Mk2 is a much better bet for everyday use.

Rust really is the killer. If the drain holes aren't kept clean it takes no time to rot the sills.

The suspension rusts nicely too.

I guess a lot of the problems come from them being used infrequently and left standing or put away wet in a garage.

Check the carpets are dry as the floor can rot too.

Air con is a big bonus as they steam up fast when it rains and the ac clears the car in seconds. Handy if you have the roof up on a hot day too. Odd I know but people do keep the hood up!

Join the MX5 owners club for good technical advice and discounted insurance. MX5Nutz if you want to mod it.

If the sills are rusty walk away as the inner sills go too. £500 a side to have repaired.

Bigger wheels ruin the car, as does lowered suspension.

I have had 4. 2mk1 and 2 mk2. My favourite was the MK1 1.8 on 14" daisy wheels and 185 dunlops. The balance was brilliant with just enough power with the skinny rubber to have fun at sensible speeds.
The ride was decent too.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.