Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MSA-Roll protection compliance
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 5/8/15 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
MSA-Roll protection compliance

I'm building a middy along the lines of Midlana, I intend to make my roll over protection/cage to comply with the bluebook specs in order to hill climb. I've been looking at section K and have a question about how deal with the footplate detail shown at the roll bar to chassis connections.

My intention was to incorporate the cage as part of the chassis not as an add-on. Which would mean the footplates would not be required. My question is whether my cage would be compliant if it was fully incorporated into the chassis, without the footplate but other wise as per bluebook.

Anyone know

[img] ksnip
ksnip
[/img]

[Edited on 5/8/15 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 5/8/15 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure about MSA compliance, but you'll still need a load spreader I'd imagine, so just one plate with the roll cage welded onto it rather than the two shown.

[Edited on 5/8/15 by Badger_McLetcher]

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

DIY Si

posted on 5/8/15 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
I think that if you made the cage part a different size/thickness of tube to the rest of the passenger bay, then it would need something to link it back into the chassis. However, if there was a roll cage tube pod that you sat in the middle of, I can't see the need for any load spreaders as all the tubes would be the same size, and just happen to be classed as a cage.

Regardless of what any of us think on here, you might be best off getting yourself to a hill climb meeting and asking the scrutineers, as it's their opinion/interpretation of the rules that matters.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 6/8/15 at 06:18 AM Reply With Quote
Another forum member has put me in touch with a local scrutineer/competitor who has kindly agreed to help I'll let you all know how it goes

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

dai1983

posted on 12/8/16 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Any news on how you got on with this? It's a question I've been pondering myself.
jeffw

posted on 13/8/16 at 05:51 AM Reply With Quote
Speak to the MSA Technical Department. technical@msauk.org

tymkea

posted on 13/9/16 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
I am years out of touch.
The methods available were to use accredited manufacturers, or to design to the loads specified in the blue book.
The loadings were quite onerous and need some method of calculating the forces and moments generated in the various members.
In 1988 I used a 3D space frame calculator that operated in DOS before Windows came to the scene.
I used that same calculator to establish all the member loads for a variety of suspension loads including hitting a gentle kerb and such like.
The calculator also allowed me to determine an approximation of torsional stiffness of the spacefram.

[Edited on 13/9/16 by tymkea]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.