Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dropbox - Any Good?
Dick Axtell

posted on 29/10/15 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Dropbox - Any Good?

Hello Fellow LCB-ers,

Does anyone here use Dropbox on a relatively regular basis? Have you found any software incompatibility issues?

I encountered probs after installing Dropbox, and then attempted to open Photoshop Elements 6. Everything went into inaction, and just stopped, and sulked at me!!

Any suggestions as to how to resolve this apparent incompatibility?

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

David Jenkins

posted on 29/10/15 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
I use it all the time to shift files between my android phone and tablet, my Linux desktop and a Windows 10 PC. I've never experienced any incompatibility issues.

I don't keep many files on the Dropbox 'cloud' though - shifting stuff around is its main benefit for me.

PaulM

posted on 29/10/15 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Same here....I use it all the time.

If you have a gmail account, Google Drive is exactly the same and is more integrated with your email though, so worth a look. I've ended up using a combination of Dropbox, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive and a few others to backup things like family photos for free :-)

tegwin

posted on 29/10/15 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Im a paid dropbox user and its pretty good!

Struggles if you have large file structures which are being reffrenced constantly (CAD or video editing for example) because it tries to sync every time you make a tiny change... but generally its pretty good!

I use photoshop, premier, after effects etc with dropbox installed and its all ok

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

twybrow

posted on 29/10/15 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
I use it personally at home, and when I ran a small engineering office, we used it as our backup solution (60gb of data!) to allow file access in China (not all systems work from inside China!). At home it is great - photos from the phone go directly to Dropbox via WiFi, and I can share them with anyone I choose. As above, complex folder structures work, but only if you can ensure that at the moment you backup no one is accessing any files (I set it up to do it overnight).

The only comparability issue I found is using a Widows phone (or tablet) - you cannot get full Dropbox access as if you were using a desktop. Otherwise, no issues after 5 years of use!

snapper

posted on 29/10/15 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Like Tegwin I use it professionally to transfer large files that email can't handle
Although I do have lots of other stuff on there as I can access random stuff from anywhere

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.