Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: vin/chassis number
leew2

posted on 27/4/16 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
vin/chassis number

Sorry if this has been asked before recently, Trying to figure out what the current situation is with vin/chassis numbers on one-off home-built cars.
Is it possible to just make one up? If so has anyone successfully done so recently, and does it need to be in any specific format, other than being 17 digits long and not containing I, Q or O?
If inventing a number is a no-no, how does one go about getting a number in 2016? I have done a quick search and found references to local offices which I believe have since gone the way of the dodo.

Many thanks, lee.

big-vee-twin

posted on 27/4/16 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
You have to write to kits and rebuilds at Swansea and request a VIN from DVLA. You cannot make one up anymore.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

PaulM

posted on 28/4/16 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
What are you supposed to do about a factory etched VIN number then? I have an MK factory number etched into the top rail exactly where I would have liked to put the official VIN

VIN Location
VIN Location

leew2

posted on 28/4/16 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the Replies, I phoned the DVLA earlier to enquire about the issue and have been told to send an email with my name and address requesting a chassis number to dvlavin@dvla.gsi.gov.uk so will do that and report back how I get on
leew2

posted on 13/5/16 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, finally got a reply back from the DVLA with a VIN number, see letter below.
However they require a stamp and a signature from a "Dealer/garage" to confirm that the number has been stamped. Does anyone have any idea what constitutes a "Dealer/garage" in this context? Does the garage in my back garden where I am building the car count as a "garage"?

Toprivetguns

posted on 13/5/16 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
You must have a friendly mechanic who owns a garage ? I took a picture of the car and me next to the VIN, they took it to my friend.
Failing that ask a few garages if they are willing to help. Be honest and show some photos.

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

garyt

posted on 13/5/16 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
got mine checked and signed by a local garage when I put the car round for an emission check and headlight aim set up, prior to iva

remember we are not mad just creatively insane !!!!!

loggyboy

posted on 13/5/16 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Get VOSA to stamp it at IVA?
TBH that's what the process should need as standard between vosa/dvla.

Mistral Motorsport

leew2

posted on 13/5/16 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Get VOSA to stamp it at IVA?

Has anyone else successfully done that? Does the VOSA test place count as a "garage" for this purpose?
Also the letter does not say when it needs returning by, does it need returning before IVA/MSVA for example?
Or after MSVA but before I send off the registration paperwork, or could I send it off at the same time as the registration paperwork?

garyt

posted on 14/5/16 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
hi I sent mine back with all the registration papers, v5/55 , receits etc

remember we are not mad just creatively insane !!!!!

coozer

posted on 14/5/16 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Stamp the number on, take a photo, sign the sheet and send it back with the photo.

You are the manufacturer and if you ever sell the car become the dealer!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

leew2

posted on 14/5/16 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toprivetguns
You must have a friendly mechanic who owns a garage ? I took a picture of the car and me next to the VIN, they took it to my friend.
Failing that ask a few garages if they are willing to help. Be honest and show some photos.

I will try talking to the place where I get my tintop MOT etc, Maybe they will stamp it from a photo as you have suggested without me actually having to lug the car/chassis to the place.

gremlin1234

posted on 14/5/16 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
What are you supposed to do about a factory etched VIN number then? I have an MK factory number etched into the top rail exactly where I would have liked to put the official VIN
you only need a dvla allocated one if the chassis doesn't have one already (in this case MK have allocated one) [but do make sure its in the right format ]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.