Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: kent cam id code
pumpers

posted on 13/9/03 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
kent cam id code

Im really struggling to id my camshaft as being gt spec so im going to get a new kent cam. However, the regs say gt spec equivalent ( p103/4). Searching there website theres no match for p103/4. is this the catalogue page number? and if so which cam do i want? Im confused!! all I want is the kent cam part id no!!! help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( im building a locost as per the book!!)

[Edited on 13/9/03 by pumpers]

D Beddows

posted on 13/9/03 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
P103/4 IS the Kent cams ID. If you were building anything else BUT an x-flow for a Formula Locost car you wouldn't dream of fitting one which is why they aren't advertised - you need one ground from a blank rather than a regrind as well realy.

Burton Power (or any other decent Kent Cam distributor) would know what you are talking about but if you can I would hold off for a while as I believe the P103/4 Kent Cam will be the only legal cam you can use next year so, with 50 or so people wanting one there may be a deal to be had - don't quote me on that though

Cheers

Dave

darryl beckwith

posted on 16/9/03 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
you are not alone as it appears many people have got confused over the camshafts including some reputable engine builders. Then there are those who don't believe in anything so I would imagine they do what they want

If you speak to any Kent agent and ask them to order a 103/4 from Kent you will get one. It will have 103/4 stamped on it. The only other legal cams you can use are a Ford GT cam, the only new one you can buy can only be obtained from Sky Ford in Hemel Hampstead. Ask for Don Hilton as they have the rights to manufacture all Xflow bits. As a matter of interest the 103/4 is infact a 1600gt profile with a lobe centre angle of 109. Both the 103 and GT have the same lca (109 not 105 or 106 etc) and lift. All that said if you are building an engine for next year you should forget Sky Ford and get a 103/4, as it will be the only cam you can legally use in Locost next year. But before you spend any money I would give the club a call, as they may be supplying them next year.

Hope this helps

regards
Darryl

PS: I do find it strange that it all goes very quiet on here when people bring up the C subject. If someone had posted almost any other subject there would be no end of varying opinions - as I said strange.

pumpers

posted on 16/9/03 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
tx for the info mr beckwith and darryl. ive now ordered a kent cam as i need to get my engine rebuilt and in the car, cos it should be a runner in the next few weeks after many a hard month working on it and i cant wait. Got my cam at a very good price of £60.45 plus the dreaded!! not too bad. cheers for the info anyway. pumpers.
Richard Jenkins

posted on 17/9/03 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Pumpers,

I'm having exactly the same problem. There are no paint marks on my cam that I can see, so I've been trying to measure the inlet valve opening duration with a dial gauge.

I had the cam in the engine and was measuring the lift on the push rod. Bizarrely I measured 340deg when the manual says it should be 272deg

Then I thought the manual specifies the play should be 0.25mm so I started reading the timing disc after measuring 0.25mm lift and stopped 0.25mm before the lift finished - and it was 240deg

Then I thought but the play is measured as a gap between the valve and rocker arm, but the rocker ratio (cam lift to valve lift) isn't 1:1 so ......

......where did you get your cam from??

RJ

darryl beckwith

posted on 18/9/03 at 06:32 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Richard

If you are checking the inlet you will find that the duration should be 253 and the exhaust should be 269. If anyone would like a cam doctor print out (by Kent cams) of a p103/4 or a ford motor company (sky ford) gt cam email our phone me and I would be happy to send you a print

Regards

Darryl

07968 75 98 96

pumpers

posted on 18/9/03 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
tx for the offer darryl but im getting my kent cam now, its on order. hopefully ill see you in my mirrors next year when the cars kickin ass on the track!!!!!

Richard and anyone else whose interested, im getting the cam from rally design ( www.raldes.co.uk ). they seem to be the cheapest for most things and have a good stock list. other places are selling them for around £95!! there also very helpful when you ring -
disclaimer- i not associated with them in any way, just impressed with their prices and service, although the website is a bit difficult to navigate. pumpers.

Richard Jenkins

posted on 18/9/03 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Darryl - in the Haynes manual it says the inlet valve opens at 27deg BTDC and closes at 65deg ABDC. So I worked that out to be 27+180+65 total duration = 272deg. Where did you get your info from?

In any case, the duration I'm measuring is neither the number you have nor that in the manual, so I think I'm going have to invest in a new Kent cam. Any more info on when/if the club will be supplying them? Will they be cheaper than the price Pumpers got his for?

Pumpers - thanks for the info.

Cheers
RJ

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.