Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone fancy some SVA scrutineering?
Mark H

posted on 10/3/03 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone fancy some SVA scrutineering?

Hi everyone,

I haven't yet sent my SVA form off, mostly because I was a bit worried about failing, but then thought i may as well send it off this week anyway, coz they'll tell me whats wrong if i do fail.

So i suppose a date around mid April is likely - in time for the decent weather.

So (and it's a bit cheeky, so apologies) does anyone fancy a play on my car this Saturday or next for a couple of hours so i can be a bit more confident of it passing?

(Also, would anyone like to give me a blat in their locost, coz i need a boost! - I've only driven a Caterham around some cones in 1st gear, and need some fly in the teeth excitement)

Will provide coffee, lager (to dust off the throat you understand) and sarnies!!

Thanks a lot guys,

Mark

Mark Harrison and
Q986 KCP back from the dead...

Mark H

posted on 7/4/03 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Well, the SVA is booked for 1pm 25th April at Nottingham, and most things are about finished on the car.

It would be great to meet up with anyone who's free that afternoon, or suggest a pub for drowning ones sorrows.

All the best,

Mark

Mark Harrison and

macspeedy

posted on 7/4/03 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Sva

Good luck with your Sva I'm sure there is plenty of time to get all the niggles out of your car, have you thought about getting an mot done to get the lights etc set? i would come and help but your miles away. Good luck hope to get a report on how it goes.
CairB

posted on 7/4/03 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck with the SVA Mark.

I contacted the inspectors before my SVA and asked about lights, I was told to take some tools and I would be allowed to adjust headlamps during the test.. which was nice

bob

posted on 7/4/03 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
they pass robin hoods at nottingham so you should have no probems.

best of luck anyway

theconrodkid

posted on 8/4/03 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
was that a dig at robin hoods by any chance?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

scutter

posted on 8/4/03 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
What such fine automobiles never

Dan

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bob

posted on 8/4/03 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
It was more of a dig at nottingham make it up as you go along VRO,but i spose someone has to be right.

Premiership referees or what

stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/4/03 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob
It was more of a dig at nottingham make it up as you go along VRO,but i spose someone has to be right.

Premiership referees or what

surely not all 2b get tested in notts, so as its been said for a while that 2b owners just make up the vin numbers, then dont other sva centres accept em too?

not that I have to worry about this for a few months, but if anyone knows if Derby are daft enough to accept it, let me know!

atb

steve

bob

posted on 8/4/03 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Steve

Yep funny enough they do accept them at SVA centres,its just that my local VRO said "i would think that would be totally illegal" and then told merlin to make his own up.

ho hum just another of lifes little tests

[Edited on 8/4/03 by bob]

Mark H

posted on 9/4/03 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys.

The more i look into the SVA the more it seems that our guess (on this site) is as good as the inspectors.

Sure they're all nice blokes (esp ones in Notts if they are reading this), but i think we should all expect to fail, because a common standard has not yet been reached. My mentality is "at least i can have a real drive of the thing". Then fail, and spend a weekend doing what they suggest. Then have another drive!

One thing that has come out of getting an SVA date to be aware of:

You need to prove the date of the engine. If you can't (and i may be in this camp) they "assume" its post 1996 (i think) and test it as a cat is fitted. Obviously most testers would know a crossflow is as old as the hills, but i need proof (letter from Ford), and wthout an engine number, I'm f£@kd.

Also, there appears to be some confusion on the padding on the suspension, ie i got a crappy photocopy sent from the SVA centre saying pipe lagging MAY be a fail. I will tell you more after my test!

Anyway, I'll give the usual report, and if anyones around that day, it'd be great to meet up.

All the best,

Mark

Mark Harrison and

CairB

posted on 9/4/03 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Mark,

I'll stand correction but as far as I understand the days of pipe lagging on the front to hide edges that would fail the radius test are over. I'd recommend fitting hard plastic nut covers on any edges including the steering track rod adjuster nut. This is M14 on my Indy. I also fitted an M18 nut cover over the top ball joint adjuster nut for good measure. I sourced these from Westfield after I failed using foam. I would have fitted them before the first SVA but I could only source up to M12, it was the inspector that put me onto Westfield. I would treat the word MAY as will, unless its covering nicely radiused edges.

I agree with your sentiments regarding the first time expectations. The inspector that assessed mine was helpful in respect of explaining what he would like to see for it to pass next time. If it does run to more than one visit then don't forget to book the next one whilst at the test station, but ensure that you allow a realistic amount of time to get it how they want it.

Hope all goes well.

Colin

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.