Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Driving on public road pre-SVA
bike_power

posted on 12/9/03 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Driving on public road pre-SVA

Am I right in thinking that I can drive my monster on the public road pre-SVA as long as (a) it's to a pre-arranged appointment at a garage where work will be done that is vital for the SVA test and (b) I have complied with the relevant laws regarding lighting etc and (c) I have insurance ?

Would a visit to TTS to get the engine rolling road tuned for emissions testing count ?

Would a visit to Dax to get the suspension set up count ?

Um, where else can I go . . .

Mark Allanson

posted on 12/9/03 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Book an MOT in Cornwall - you could have a holiday at the same time!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

matt_claydon

posted on 13/9/03 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
From the DLTR SVA booklet:

"You will be allowed to travel to and from the test station without the vehicle having been registered and licensed, and, if necessary to and from a garage or other place where modifications are done to enable compliance with the requirements."

If you get stopped I guess it's up to whoever stops you as to whether they consider where you're going to be necessary or not.

Cheers,
Matt.

bike_power

posted on 2/10/03 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Matt, I've got a copy of the booklet and found that section.

I asked the local police what they thought and initially they said I can't drive it at all. I then pointed out that driving to and from the SVA test was allowed and they agreed to look into it.

The called me back and said that I can drive to/from MOT and SVA test but I can only drive to a garage after the car has failed one of the tests, in order to have the necessary rectification work done.

I think they're wrong and I'll show them this booklet at the weekend and see what their interpretation of the wording is but I've got a 60 day cover note on my VIN number starting this weekend and I'm not planning to waste it !

DavidC

posted on 2/10/03 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
I've gotta say, my 1st interpretation of " if necessary to and from a garage or other place where modifications are done to enable compliance with the requirements." was that you can drive to a garage to fix something you've failed on.

DC

JoelP

posted on 2/10/03 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bike_power
I've got a 60 day cover note on my VIN number starting this weekend and I'm not planning to waste it !

i was wondering what plate you would tell the insurance company. would you just display the donor plate and tell the insurance the VIN?

stephen_gusterson

posted on 3/10/03 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
you insure it on the vin and dont have number plates. Using the donor plates would get you in trouble.

atb

steve

bike_power

posted on 3/10/03 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, it's insured on the VIN number not a reg number. I won't be displaying a number plate which is why plod said they'd pull me as soon as I was visible. (Can't be done by a speed camera see, that's what they're worried about . . .)

One reason I believe you can drive pre-SVA to a garage is that imported cars from Japan need to be SVA'd and they need to be driven to a garage first to have the well known mods made.

Anybody else think I can't drive pre SVA to a garage ?

Thanks, Steve

Peteff

posted on 3/10/03 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Mine failed the MOT 3 times on minor non-related faults. The easiest is to take a bulb or 2 out and slacken the handbrake cable right off.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

bike_power

posted on 3/10/03 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
That was one option, deliberately fail an MOT and then drive to as many appointments as I like to have work done . . . but it seemed daft that I had to wait until I knew the car wasn't road worthy until I drove it on the road . . .

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.