Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: V5/ SORN Declaration????
ANDY P

posted on 4/11/03 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
V5/ SORN Declaration????

I have bought a broken Sierra(engine, gearbox, prop etc but not the actual chassis or shell)with it's V5. Do I have to register myself as the new owner and then declare SORN(its going to be some time before its ready to go back on the road!!!!!) or do I have to tell those who are to be obeyed(no not the wife) that the car is in fact scrapped!!!!!

Have spent vast amounts of time on the phone to the DVLA who say the registration can only be decided once they have checked what parts have been used during the SVA.

Surely this makes it a Q plate car!!!
Your thoughts please

Andy P

Hellfire

posted on 4/11/03 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO - register it and get V5 back in your name. Strip parts as they constitute 'in my opinion' an age related plate. Most of the MAJOR components are from one vehicle, if you're using most of them! It's a close call if you're not...

There is a section within the DVLA website which 'sort of' deals with this... I'm sure one of the other chaps knows the addy off the top of his head!!!

Good luck

Viper

posted on 4/11/03 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
I have exactley the same as you, i have told swansea the car is of the road (true) and declared sorn, I would rather not have a Q plate.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ANDY P

posted on 4/11/03 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
The better half is off tomorrow and is going to try to pin the DVLA down so if any joy will let you know.

Andy P

VinceGledhill

posted on 4/11/03 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
Register the Sierra in your name and declare sorn. When it comes to registering it the man at the DVLA won't (probably) know a live axle from a de-deon set up.

All they are really interested in is that it's not a stolen "ringer" and that all your numbers match up. A none Q plate is easy. Just state that the majority came from the donor on the form you have to fill out.

From what I remember there's only two of the major components listed required from a list of 5 to get an age related plate.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Time Served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

Dusty

posted on 6/11/03 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
If you register the donor in your name and declare SORN you can handily 'fit' that xe engine in (bolt the engine to the box), tell DVLA and get the new engine number put on the donor V5. Keeps it single donor.

[Edited on 6/11/03 by Dusty]

Mk-Ninja

posted on 6/11/03 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Wonder if you could do that for a BEC.

Its got to be worth a try.

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

Northy

posted on 6/11/03 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
If your going to change the engine number don't you have to do it before you declare it SORN? Otherwise you need to tax it (un SORN) change the engine number, and then declare it SORN again.

Cheers

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Viper

posted on 6/11/03 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Northy
If your going to change the engine number don't you have to do it before you declare it SORN? Otherwise you need to tax it (un SORN) change the engine number, and then declare it SORN again.

Cheers

WHY??? if its not on the road then its not on the road....

Northy

posted on 6/11/03 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
I was told to change the engine number on the V5 before I declared it SORN.

Cheers

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

Viper

posted on 6/11/03 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
I have declare mine sorn and coz my block is buggered i am going to change the number again there is no way i can mot a pile of bits and as you know no mot =no tax
can't see it being a problem,

andyps

posted on 6/11/03 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know how it relates to changing engine number etc. but I do know that it is not possible to change the class of registration unless you have the car taxed (or are applying for tax). I discovered this when trying to tax a car which is old enough to be entitled to free tax. Talking to the DVLA they will only change the classification to historic from plg if you tax a car at the local vehicle licencing office, but you can't do it any other way.

This same rule may apply to changing engine number etc.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

mad4x4

posted on 10/11/03 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with viper My sierria is a vin Plate and some parts in the shed.

I thought that if you change the engine and send the V5 to DVLA.

Then they will send you back a new v5 updated.

At worst I guess the DVLA will send you a tax reminder to get tax. Just take to Post office and delcare SORN again.

SIMPLE

Quick thought "MOT;s work on if the parts not there they can't test it". Could I present just my vin plate for an MOT.?

Guess it wonldn't fail on emmission, Brakes, windscreen, rust, anything else as its missing!

[Edited on 10/1111/03 by mad4x4]

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.