Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ground Rent
woodster

posted on 16/1/09 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Ground Rent

Does anyone know anything about ground rent? I pay £12 a year i want to build an extension on the front of my house the planning permission has been granted but the ground rent people say they have to give permission .... is that right ? if they charge me can they ask for whatever they like? can they take me to court if i don't pay the £12 a year? ..... can they make me move my house
nick205

posted on 16/1/09 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
If paying ground rent I guess you must be on a leasehold?

If so I'd start by checking the lease document which should set out who can do what.

My limited understanding from living in a leasehold flat a few years back where each lessee became an equal shareholder in the freehold company is that ground rent covers the alloted area of land and not just the footprint of the property itself. i.e. in my case it covered the flat, a share of the gardens, pathways, parking area and garage block.

You may also be able to get free advice from the CAB and/or your local planning office.

Mole

posted on 16/1/09 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Techinally they own the land and you are just leasing it. Usually for a long period of time though. Would imagine permission is a formality once planning permission has been given.
nstrug

posted on 16/1/09 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
You're paying ground rent because you don't own your property freehold. You are a leaseholder and you are paying this rent to the freeholder (landlord). As he is the owner of the building and the land, he gets to say what you do to 'your' house, and can charge you whatever he wants.

If you don't pay the ground rent, its like not paying any other rent - you've broken your lease agreement and could loose your house.

Leasehold on houses is basically a hangover from the feudal system and is a complete scam - you can actually force the freeholder to sell you the freehold then you will own the house outright, but its a complete pain in the arse and can be very expensive.

Leasehold on flats is the norm in England and I have friends who have suffered from freeholders making massive increases in the ground rent (how does £100 per year to £2500 per year sound?)

Do you know how long the lease is? When the lease expires, you have to buy back your own house all over again

Nick

SteveWalker

posted on 16/1/09 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure that you do get their permission or they can charge you ridiculous amounts later to okay it or try to demand you pull down the extension!

We're lucky, our documents say that we can build whatever we want without asking, as long as we maintain a house worth a certain minimum annual rental (a nominal sum).

oldtimer

posted on 16/1/09 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
As above basicly. Don't stop paying £12/year. Check your lease details. Sensible extensions would rarely be said no to - it increases the value of 'their' property. Best option - buy the lease.
woodster

posted on 16/1/09 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you for all your advice chaps .... i will check my lease details

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.