Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA Pass - Glasgow!!!
craig1410

posted on 3/4/09 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
SVA Pass - Glasgow!!!

Mac
Mac

A big thank you to all who have helped me over the years - I got a first time pass at Glasgow this morning. Also a big thank you to Allan the SVA tester as he is a rare mixture of being friendly, professional, extremely thorough and yet very fair. I also spoke to Kenny from the DVLA who attends the SVA test centre usually on each Friday and provided you have already submitted your DVLA paperwork to his offices he will usually be able to do the inspection there and then. Otherwise, like with me, I will need to hand in the paperwork to the DVLA offices in Glasgow and he will then come out to my house and do the inspection on-site. I'm hoping to get this done on Wednesday as he is down my way.

Some details of the test:

Noise test 98.6dB
Front axle weight 364 Kg
Rear axle weight 390 Kg (both weights are without passenger or driver but with a full tank of fuel.) My estimate of 750Kg was almost spot on! I put down 500/500 on the forms though to account for passenger, driver and fuel.

Speedo was the most accurate he has ever tested according to the tester - it read as follows:

Indicated - Actual
70 - 69
60 - 60
50 - 50
40 - 40
35 - 35

Another way to look at this is that I was BLOODY LUCKY!! I only set it up with an inch tape round the wheel...

Brakes were good and the bias valve (Fiat Uno) made no difference whether it was fully on or fully off so I didn't need to lock it up with a rollpin. I will do so anyway and will lock it up with the plunger unable to move as this improves brake pedal.

Drove the car home for the last 10 miles or so after we got off the motorway and it was great! It sounds like a Spitfire fighter plane and goes just as fast!! Obviously I didn't go crazy but you can tell straight away that it is quick. It jumps from 30 to 60 in the blink of an eye and even 5th gear puts you back in your seat!

Thanks again to everyone,
Craig.

blakep82

posted on 3/4/09 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
welll done

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Humbug

posted on 3/4/09 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Well done!

Did you go to Comparethemeerkat.com for insurance?

fesycresy

posted on 3/4/09 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Well done, but as soon as I saw Meerkat...........

Compare the Meerkat

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

adithorp

posted on 3/4/09 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one!

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Jasper

posted on 3/4/09 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one - looks a nice car

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

tomgregory2000

posted on 3/4/09 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Well done.
Great feeling isnt it

Simon

posted on 3/4/09 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote

Relieved?

Told you not to worry

ATB

Simon

Simon

posted on 3/4/09 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Forgot to say, don't think about modifying it as you'll end up being off the road more than on.

And I speak from experience

ATB

Simon

craig1410

posted on 3/4/09 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, yes it is a good feeling although I must say my main feeling at present is tiredness! It's been a busy few weeks stealing time here and there from normal duties to spend time on the car...

Worth it though, the 10 miles or so I drove it were unlike anything you can experience in a "normal" car. I think everyone should remove their windscreen as the feeling of blasting through the air is exhilarating to say the least!!

@Simon, I don't intend to do too much to it in the short term, just test it thoroughly by gradually expanding the envelope in terms of lateral G's, braking and accelerating and checking the major mechanicals for any signs of stress after each blast. At the moment I feel my brakes lack bite and my cooling system is a bit poor when idling but I'm sure I can improve on this fairly easily.

Looking forward to the summer now!!

jollygreengiant

posted on 3/4/09 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Well done that man. First drive makes quite an impression, just wait till you start to get the hang of it.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 3/4/09 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
well done

Paul (Notts)

posted on 3/4/09 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Well done that man. First drive makes quite an impression, just wait till you start to get the hang of it

The real danger comes when you think you have got the hang of it and you end up facing the wrong way on a main road.

Paul

zilspeed

posted on 3/4/09 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Kenny was the bloke who sorted out my registration for me with the Sylva.
He's an enthusiast so IMHO he's one of us.

That's got to help.

Slater

posted on 3/4/09 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Well done. A first time pass! that's excellent!

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

craig1410

posted on 3/4/09 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
Kenny was the bloke who sorted out my registration for me with the Sylva.
He's an enthusiast so IMHO he's one of us.

That's got to help.

Yeah Kenny is definitely an enthusiast! He was telling me how much he enjoys driving his Skoda Fabia vRS in an "enthusiastic" manner... Hell of a nice guy too - very helpful indeed. He was particularly taken with my choice of a V8 engine in my locost and seemed to think I must be a bit mad!

I was very impressed with both Allan and Kenny - they are both clearly very professional and take their jobs very seriously. Allan was extremely thorough when checking the underside of my car and I must admit I was a bit nervous at that point but he popped his head out from under the lift and said that everything looked fine. He really knows what to look for and was more than happy to explain to a friend of mine, ("pbs" from the forum) who has his SVA on the 22nd April, what he was looking for.

I feel a bit silly for fretting over my car for the last few days...

Cheers,
Craig.

craig1410

posted on 3/4/09 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul (Notts)
quote:

Well done that man. First drive makes quite an impression, just wait till you start to get the hang of it

The real danger comes when you think you have got the hang of it and you end up facing the wrong way on a main road.

Paul

I go sideways whenever I can and love go-karting so I am pretty confident I can catch my Meerkat RV8 under control...

Craig.

Simon

posted on 4/4/09 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
And the best thing about all that torque is that a bit is sideways is only a light stamp on the right pedal

You'll be sideways around most roundabouts. Trust me!

ATB

Simon

Shadowcaster

posted on 4/4/09 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
Lovely looking beast, glad I have decided on a V8 in mine,

Cheers Rich
The Roadster Blog http://richshaynesroadster.blogspot.com/
It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.
Confucius Chinese philosopher & reformer (551 BC - 479 BC)

JimM

posted on 4/4/09 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Well done Craig ....
Might see you out and about in the summer

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.