Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Racing MNR R1 Bikesports??
GeoffMM

posted on 20/12/09 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Racing MNR R1 Bikesports??

Hello,

Currently building an MNR RT with a 2008 r1 engine. Having looked through the 750mc links it looks like the car would fall under class C standard 1000ccbike engines.

After having looked through the site though all of the cars appear to be 'Race' style and not kit car, have i got the right group?

Originally bought the car with the intention of using it for the road but, having now packed in with the bike racing would like to give the MNR a shot.

Any suggestions or help will be extremely appreciated.

Bobbus

posted on 20/12/09 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

You'd be better off looking at RGB instead of bikesports. With a R1 you would be in class B, racing against very similar cars, e.g. Fury, Phoenix, etc. Take a look at the regs:

http://www.750mc.co.uk/images/uploaded/2009%20Regs%20-%20RGB.pdf

You might want to take a look at the RGB forum as well:

http://www.rgb-racing.org.uk/rgbbb/

Regards,

Rob.

GeoffMM

posted on 20/12/09 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent, thanks for the quick response, much appreciated.

Richard Quinn

posted on 21/12/09 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
Worth bearing in mind that there aren't really that many "7's" in either the RGB or Kits grids. Most are using more slippery cars. That's not to say you couldn't have a bit of fun but you would hit the aero wall at some of the faster circuits.
MK9R

posted on 21/12/09 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Beat me to it! Check out the RGB regs and have alook through some of our blogs. Its true there aren't that many 7 cars in it, but a well sorted (and well driven) striker won the entire series this year.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 21/12/09 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Re: Aero - yes, all true but there are things that you can do to mitigate some of the issues, and in some respects the MNR is better placed than some others in terms of aero.

Marc did do a few races in a Class C car but wasn't really able to give the campaign enough time to make a decent fist of it. A very early MNR also appeared in the Championship briefly but it lacked the development and focus required, for example it ran far too high.

Do it, the RGB guys are a really friendly bunch. I'm planning an appearance in a 7esque car in the not too distant future too.

ETA: Just had a quick read of your build site. It looks like you are making the decision at the right time i.e. early as you can then focus on the right areas, for example, Job#1: Making provision for a flat floor, and moving the focus from Defi guages to how you install that oil cooler.

Some will tell you that racing is all about function over form, but as a fellow sufferer of car-related OCD, I see no reason why the two can't be achieved at the same time. The only consideration is if you intend to keep the car in tip-top cosmetic order you'll need to be prepared to get your hand in your pocket. It is possible though - Josh Smith did it in 2008.

[Edited on 21/12/09 by TimC]

GeoffMM

posted on 21/12/09 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
I know how difficult and costly it is to be competitive in motor racing but surely this should be one of the more cost effective methods of having some fun.

The oild cooler issue has got me tied up at the minute and one that certainly need some consideration before jumping in. I'm sure the defi gauges will most certainly be worthwhile on top of the digidash for on the fly monitoring.

I don't see any reason why a well set up MNR cannot compete to a good level in the championship. I am off up to MNR feb/march so will have a chat with Mark then over the options.

Class B should be a good level playing field with the engines remaining standard so really it should be all about the set up. Cadwell and Mallory will be good short circuits to cut my teeth on.

Bobbus

posted on 21/12/09 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know your driving history, so I'm going to guess that the MNR is intended to be your first competitive outing. If that is the case I would suggest that Cadwell is possibly not the best place to start off, it's quite a daunting circuit - the run off is small (mistakes can be costly!) and it is more difficult to learn than most circuits in the UK.

For your first outing I would suggest looking at circuits with a little more room for error, e.g. Snetterton, Brands, Donnington (if it's open). As another suggestion I would seriously recommend getting some driver training, you'll be amazed just how much quicker you'll be able to go with only a day or two training with an excellent coach and the increase in your ability should reduce the chance of making costly mistakes. Anyway, that's a long way off yet, you have to build the thing first! Good luck!

Regards,

Rob.

[Edited on 21/12/09 by Bobbus]

GeoffMM

posted on 22/12/09 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
I have about 10 years behind me now with many outings at Cadwell, mallory etc.

Admittedly mostly on bikes.

I think it says above that i ised to race bikes

Bobbus

posted on 22/12/09 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Ah yes, silly me. These cars should be pretty easy and quite slow in comparison.

Regards,

Rob.

GeoffMM

posted on 22/12/09 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
LOL my apologies just read that and it sounded a bit patronising. (not how i intended it to be)

Thanks for your help. The irony is i'm still yet to have a go in a completed MNR so the first time out should be very exciting.

Bobbus

posted on 22/12/09 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Don't worry, I didn't read your message as being patronising. Good luck with the build.

Regards,

Rob.

gixermark

posted on 22/12/09 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
good luck mate..

I'm also an ex bike racer... and if I'm honest only come to the 'other side' of all things 4 wheels due to a fairly major accident which has left my pelvis in many pieces and held together with pins/plates & bones graft..

anyway - i find the cars fun... don;t quite get teh adrenalin that i got with a bike - but the wife appreciates the fact i seem to come home in one piece, and i reckon the combined insurance of america crew are also glad - as they no longer make regular payments through to me for continually breaking bones..

RGB is a great place to race, good bunch of guys and Gal... and has the balance of performance to ££ pretty much bang on... there is decent support in the paddock too by Mr Bates - which is invaluable..

I hope to do an event or two in RGB this year - and will also be in a seven...

GeoffMM

posted on 22/12/09 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds great, i won't be competing till 2011 but need to get my decisions in place now. Will be going to Cadwell and Mallory again this year to chat to other members etc.

Hope to see you about. What class are you taking part in?

progers

posted on 22/12/09 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
RGB races

Hi Geoff,

Please come along to one of races this year and introduce yourself. I am more than happy to chat about your build and getting ready for racing, having gone through the process myself 4/5 years ago. I started racing in class B - it will soon be the most popular class within RGB. I now run a class A car.

I can also introduce you to some other drivers, I'm pretty sure there are one or two local to you.

Cheers

Paul
RGB No12 Class A

[Edited on 22/12/09 by progers]

GeoffMM

posted on 22/12/09 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Really appreciate your help, if all the drivers are as friendly as yourself then RGB sounds like the right place to be.

Bobbus

posted on 22/12/09 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
RGB is definitely the place to be, all the drivers are friendly and it makes the racing much more fun because of it.
gixermark

posted on 23/12/09 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffMM
Sounds great, i won't be competing till 2011 but need to get my decisions in place now. Will be going to Cadwell and Mallory again this year to chat to other members etc.

Hope to see you about. What class are you taking part in?

I am in Ireland - so mostly compete here in an 'Irish' version of the RGB series... but hope to get over to 1 or 2 RGB meets this year - excellent place to race.. support is important at events - and RGB has it sorted for the average clubby.....

MK9R

posted on 23/12/09 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffMM
Really appreciate your help, if all the drivers are as friendly as yourself then RGB sounds like the right place to be.

We sure are, if you are going to the autosport show pauls car is on the 750mc stand and there will a driver from RGB there every day. I'll be there all day friday if you are there and want a chat

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.