Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Looking for a couple of bikes
flak monkey

posted on 6/7/10 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
Looking for a couple of bikes

My old bike has given up (its done well, bless it) so I am looking for a new one. Dont want anything too expensive though.

At the same time looking for one for Sarah.

Any suggestions of where to look? Brands to avoid etc

Most riding is on road, with the occasional off road bit.

Cheers,
David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

stuleah

posted on 6/7/10 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Dave
Try Pell and Parker in Newborough, they are suppliers to the trade and very helpful.
I have got a diamondback and its been great.
Also chainreactioncycles.co.uk
they have some good stuff. Just bought my son a £350 bike for £180

Guinness

posted on 6/7/10 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
I'd avoid anything from the big motoring retailer in an orange shed......

When I had to replace a stolen mountain bike, I got a Cube Acid from my local dealer.

Cam with front suspension (that is adjustable for load, bounce and rebound, and can be locked out via a lever on the handle bars for going up hills. Has full Shimano kit and hydraulic disc brakes.

http://www.cyclecentreuk.co.uk/products.php?plid=m8b72s168p8835

Has been utterly brilliant compared to my old bike, with brilliant brakes and gearset.

As to where to get one, a local bike shop. Sure you can buy over the internet, but if you are buying two, they'll do a discount, ensure you both get the right size, and mine offers free servicing and adjustment on bikes they've sold.

coozer

posted on 6/7/10 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
Funny that, was thinking the same...

Quite fancy a CCM Dual Sport...

Don't do anything without an engine unless she's very willing

[Edited on 6/7/10 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

jossey

posted on 6/7/10 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
Look for bikes with a good groupset gears, brakes etc. Lx and above is good. Get a rigid frame if mostly on road will cut the weight alot.

I used to race bikes but alot has changed since I worked in the industry so I have no makes to try.
Test the bike before u buy.
As above chain reaction are good.

Dave j

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 6/7/10 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Cube - a new brand to me - seems to be getting very good reviews and comments on the web.

Another brand that I rarely hear a bad word about is Specialized.

For mostly road and a bit off road you don't need rear suspenion and probably don't need front suspension but you'd be hard pressed to find a decent mountain bike without the latter.

You may also consider a hybrid - I cannot recommend any as I hate them with a vengeance.

There are also somethings that are 29ers - these are mountain bike with 29 inch wheels, hence the name - bigger wheels mean they roll over obstacles easier - (not sure if they have same wheels as road bike = 700C) but I would avoid simply due to the less common wheel size meaing if you break down in the wilderness with wheel or tube trouble, you are unlikely to find someone to borrow a tyre/tube with the same size, unless they too have a 29er.

If you are buying two bikes, then consider buying identical model - this means that you can swap parts over so if one bike is out of action and you need it to use it, then you can cannabilise the other.

re: frame size, men: mountain bike = inside leg less 14 inches or 1/3 rd your height.

flak monkey

posted on 6/7/10 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice Will have a look around and see what I can find.

Bikes seem a lot more expensive than I remember, but then I spose if I get a decent one it will last another 10 years

Sera

02GF74

posted on 6/7/10 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey

Bikes seem a lot more expensive than I remember, but then I spose if I get a decent one it will last another 10 years

You're joking, right?

My 1994 Saracen Kilicomp, rigid steel frame, cantilever brakes had RRP £ 800 in 1994.

I am not sure what that is in today';s money but'll be probably pushing close to £ 2k, but even so, for £ 800 you can buy a bike with lighter frame with decent front suspension, hydrauling disc brakes simply because components have improved and Chinesey mass production has made them cheaper.

Same like CD players, cost £ 500 when they first came out in early 80s, now you can buy a portable one in Argos for a tenner.

(just checked, and £ 800 today would be anywhere between 1.2 and 1.6 k)

[Edited on 6/7/10 by 02GF74]

oldtimer

posted on 6/7/10 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Last seasons models can be quite reasonably priced here:

www.bikes2udirect.com

NTDWM

flak monkey

posted on 6/7/10 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Lol, I always bought bikes around the £140 mark, but they were obviously steel framed and nothing special.

I want to get Sarah more active and get her a decent bike as we both enjoy biking and theres loads of places to go around our way.

I will stretch the budget a bit and start looking at spending around £500-600 on a pair of bikes.

Sera

adithorp

posted on 6/7/10 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
If it's just for a bit of road and gravel cycle trails then look at hybrids. Suspension might seem like a good idea but, unless you're going on rough paths a lot, then it's energy sapping outweighs it's comfort.

Decatlon stores have some good qualty own brandstuff at decent prices that should fit the bill.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Hellfire

posted on 6/7/10 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Instead of buying two mountain bikes, why not just buy a Tandem. Then you can let her do all the pedalling whilst you steer.

Phil

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.