Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A collapsible element in the upper column
jrrsparky

posted on 28/7/11 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
A collapsible element in the upper column

I have sent of for a IVA test for my MK Indy, but just realised i have not got "A collapsible element in the upper column".
is this necessary ? I cant decide after reading the IVA manual weather all the elements in section 14 are required or not.

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 28/7/11 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
My understanding is that it's a requirement to have a collapsable section in the steering column. How this is applied, as always, is down to interpretation - but I'd say either a UJ in the column itself or collapsable boss for an aftermarket steering wheel (or both!) should suffice.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

ReMan

posted on 29/7/11 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Sierra column has the sliding triagular shaft, thats the collapsible bit

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

jrrsparky

posted on 29/7/11 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys
Yes I have an off-set from the steering box to the UJ and the sliding triagular shaft, but as I understand it the collapsible bit in the outer sleeve is to absorb impact from the driver should he be thrown forword on to the wheel !

jrrsparky

posted on 3/8/11 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
ford sierra steering column
ford sierra steering column

Can anybody confirm if this a standard sierra steering column and if so will it pass the IVA in this form

[Edited on 3/8/11 by jrrsparky]

Mark Allanson

posted on 3/8/11 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like a Sierra adjustable column withe the adjustable bits removed

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

SteveWalker

posted on 3/8/11 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Although it looks different to mine, it looks similar enough and mine is okay. In an impact, the driver will hit the wheel and the wheel will move back, as the central shaft of the column is driven through the outer column and along the triangular sliding joint. As long as there is enough room between the back of the wheel boss and the outer column and also between the clamp on the triangular shaft and the triangular end of the inner shaft of the column, then you've got your collapsible section.
jrrsparky

posted on 8/8/11 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Steve
it looks as if we will be ok then.

Pezza

posted on 9/8/11 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
You've got no collapsable element in the upper column there, that looks like a pathfinder paddleshift.
there is a couple of inches travel max before the steering boss hits the paddle tube, doubt very much mr IVA man will be happy with that.

I had to modify mine like this

on advise from Mitchams IVA tester

[Edited on 9-8-11 by Pezza]

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

SteveWalker

posted on 9/8/11 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
I may be mistaken, bu from the original photo, the back of the boss appears to be able to fit through the hole in the paddles and looks like it would have reached its full travel before the wider part of the boss caught the paddles. I could be wrong though.
jrrsparky

posted on 9/8/11 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Pezza
what car is that from

Pezza

posted on 10/8/11 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
That's the upper element of a sierra column.

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

jrrsparky

posted on 14/8/11 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all for your replies,
Yesteday I rang Automotive solutions - MK and GBS and they all assured me that if I had a sierra steering wheel or one with equivalent padding that my steering column is ok

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.