Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What Bike engine?
Paul (Notts)

posted on 25/3/12 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
What Bike engine?

Finally decided to go over to the dark side of the force.

After looking at all the possible the power plants for my Terrapin build I have decided the route I will take is BIKE ENGINE.

Almost bought a rover K series V6 last week ( car engine to fit in with my last build a V8 ) but some one beat me to it so I will take that as divine intervention and buy a motor bike engine.

The question is what engine?

I have no knowledge of this area so any advice is welcome. Just emailed Yorkshire engines to see what they have in stock.

Also where to get a Chain diff from ?

Any advice very welcome.

I need to buy an engine very soon or I will change my mind again.

Paul

scootz

posted on 25/3/12 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
You're not too late Paul... my spare KV6 would go really well with your eye colour and I'm doing a special deal just now for anyone called Paul!!!

PS - You probably want a Busa, ZZR1400 or ZX12R, or if you're feeling really flush maybe a S1000RRRRRRRRRRR!

It's Evolution Baby!

maccmike

posted on 25/3/12 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, minimum 900cc. newer are lighter and bit more powerful. my 91 zzr1100 goes like a bastard so dont let age put you off. honda, yam, kwakis are all good. carbs = more simple but do need annual cleans etc. injection = slightly less simple but smoother. the chain will depend on your front sprocket, the more cc the beefier. the strongest is 530 (also known as a 50) i got mine off ebay as I needed an extras long custom length one but I run bike back wheel. is your 4 whels? if so, turn engine 90 degrees and run drive shaft. wont get chain slop then, and you wont have to replace chain and sprockets each year either. unltimately it depends on price, i bought complete bike, used engine/loom etc then sold rolling frame. broke even on that.

just reread chain diff bit, im a duffer

[Edited on 25/3/12 by maccmike]

imp paul

posted on 25/3/12 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
hi paul zx12r is the muts nuts also late zx10r eg 2011 or late blade with 8 injectors very good engine or zx14 r is very nice lots of power lol if money is no problem busa is nice as for the diff try here http://www.westgarage.co.uk/forsale/forsale.html
Andy B

posted on 25/3/12 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
we have pretty much tried and tested everything over the last 15 years and settled on a number of powerplants that suit different applications and needs/budgets. Each engine kit comes with its own idiosyncracies that need addressing when hybridding. If you want to give me a bell on 01449 736633 I will talk you through the pros and cons, power outputs and ease of install.
Best regards
Andy

Dangle_kt

posted on 25/3/12 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
If you are after a cheap project engine I've got a stripped down zx12r, just needs reassembly and a generator and generator cover.

Only asking £350. Thats less than most old fireblade 893cc fireblade engines go for.

Paul (Notts)

posted on 25/3/12 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
sorry Dangle_kt

I am after a full install with a running engine and ecu if injection

Paul

daniel mason

posted on 25/3/12 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
in something as small and light as that id go for a lightweight,and highly reliable 1000cc fireblade without doubt.
no doubt the busa,zzr1400 and zx12 would be good but a fair bit heavier than the blade

Paul (Notts)

posted on 28/3/12 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Just got a ZX12r from Malc at Yorkshire engines

Paul

SCAR

posted on 29/3/12 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
Paul
Paul Nightingale of Spire Sportscars is just up the road at Stonebroom, he has a lot of experience installing the ZX12 engine driving a chain driven diff or turned through 90 degrees driving a prop driven diff as this was a popular installation for the GTR. I think some cars have been changed to blade engines to suit changes in the RGB regs so he may have some parts you might need for a car installation. Paul also uses the threaded wishbone tube and polybush crush tube you require for his cars so may have some in stock. I go to see Paul quite frequently for parts and guidance on our GTR build and he is always helpful. You are welcome to come with me the next time I go across. He also has a jig for making up zx12 engine mounts (to suit the GTR) which might be helpful.
At the moment he is extremely busy getting 3 race cars ready for the first races of the season at Silverstone this weekend so if you want to speak with him best left until next week.
Great to hear about you school project perhaps we can have a chat on Friday

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img]http:// Description
Description
[/img]
Cheers
Steve
SCAR

[Edited on 29/3/12 by SCAR]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.