Author: Subject: Sva windscreen ??
Hopley89

posted on 23/12/12 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Sva windscreen ??

Do I need a windscreen to sva or can I use the small wind shield
As I don't want to put demiser in plus wipers

rodgling

posted on 23/12/12 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Not required for IVA. Best to fit afterwards, if you want one, to save the hassle of meeting radius requirements etc.
Stott

posted on 24/12/12 at 01:38 AM Reply With Quote
If you fit a small screen/flyscreen make sure it's under the line described in the manual with reference to the seat base.

The tester will fit the reference block to your seat and string the line forward (which is about or just below eye level when seated) if this line contacts your flyscreen it will need wipers and demister.

Leaving it off seems a good idea at the moment but they have changed the IVA certificates lately and they now have a portion on them that the tester must fill in any missing equipment on. So they will be starting to permanently record lack of windscreens and hoods etc so they can see if the "type approval" has been invalidated in the future.

stevegough

posted on 24/12/12 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stott

Leaving it off seems a good idea at the moment but they have changed the IVA certificates lately and they now have a portion on them that the tester must fill in any missing equipment on. So they will be starting to permanently record lack of windscreens and hoods etc so they can see if the "type approval" has been invalidated in the future.

Hadn't heard about this change, but I can't really see how it could work - who would enforce this? The police are hardly going to pull you over, and contact DVLA to check if the windscreen you now have on your car was fitted during the IVA - after all, the IMAC is taken off you when you get your V5. Your registration document is unlikely to state '2 seater sports without windscreen'.

The only way this could conceivably come to light is after an accident - the Insurance company contacting DVLA and maybe asking them to root through their files?

On the other hand, it more probably would serve as a deterrent to builders submitting their car for IVA without screen?

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

black fingernail
Contributor

Posts 144
Registered 2/7/09
Location devon

Photo Archive Go!
Building: finished? scratch built book locost with 1700 puma

posted on 24/12/12 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Fitting demisters seems daft in our type of cars, but, if it rains the windscreen is chilled, causing the inside to mist up quite badly, and due to the type of harnesses fitted, its very difficult to wipe off, ask me how i know!
In my opinion, some form of demister is a good idea. a heated screen has to be the simplest option, but some sort of heater is handy, just to keep swmbo happy.
As stated before, get it through the test, windscreen, wipers, demisters, can be fitted at your leisure, and you can decide for yourself if you need them.

Stott

posted on 24/12/12 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
The tester at Cardiff explained it to me when I did the test earlier this month, he was complaining that he just started a new book of certificates and they've changed them, so when he's finished this book he's on to the new ones with the missing equipment bit.

I have no idea how it would be implemented myself and neither did the tester, he's just been told what to record on the forms.

Atb
Stott

cjwood23

posted on 24/12/12 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
So other than Westfield are there any other suppliers of heated screens for 7's?
Seem's that there could be quite a market for these.

Chris

black fingernail
Contributor

Posts 144
Registered 2/7/09
Location devon

Photo Archive Go!
Building: finished? scratch built book locost with 1700 puma

posted on 24/12/12 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
caterham use them.
Yes i agree, i think there could be a good market for these at a reasonable price.

cjwood23

posted on 24/12/12 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Perhaps these guys would make one if there was enough interest?
Ricky Evans motorsport – Heated windscreens

Chris

Hopley89

posted on 24/12/12 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
I don't want to put a windscreen on I want to put a small wind shield on
Do I need a windscreen to pass sva or can I use the wind shield ?

loggyboy

posted on 24/12/12 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
U won't be taking SVA, you will be taking IVA. See the the first few posts above or have a read of the manual!

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.