Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: what airbox are you running?
number-1

posted on 7/2/13 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
what airbox are you running?

Afternoon all

what airboxes are you all using and what db is your bec kicking out?

Nick DV

posted on 7/2/13 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Modified Hayabusa airbox, tested at 97.8 db

Cheers, Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

mark chandler

posted on 7/2/13 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
1/16" Ali air box/plenum feeding into intercooler then turbo, still whacked the meter at Goodwood to 107db which Isuspect was mostly general engine noise.

You need to fight hard to keep a BEC low when the engine and exhaust are close together, look towards soundproofing the engine compartment to the outside as well.

[Edited on 7/2/13 by mark chandler]

bobthebuilder

posted on 7/2/13 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
home made ally airbox with big cone filter was 102db at oulton but have changed from a k series race can to a zx12 can .
it is noticablly quieter but havent got it checked yet. if i was to guess i would say about 90 ish.

yellowcab

posted on 8/2/13 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
I'm running a standard Hayabusa airbox that I modified the cosmick way, not sure on induction levels but certainly a damn site quieter than open bodies with a foam filter.

Feel free to check out my photo archives, I think it's in it's own folder

renetom

posted on 8/2/13 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
We used the standard R1 airbox reversed
at IVA was 97Db

carse

posted on 8/2/13 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Running a fabricated Ali airbox with panel filter and a bit of ram air effect. It tripped the drive-by meters at Oulton at 108db - I think they're in the vale down by Knicerbrook/bottom of Clay Hill so was screaming it in third at that point, which is why I went over.

Only solution I had on the day was to line the airbox and underside of the bonnet (which seals the chamber) with air filter material and cover it in a protective mesh to stop it moving. It worked as I didn't get pulled again and was noticeably quieter from the outside according to people track side.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
fullpint

posted on 9/2/13 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
PiperX flat foam filter, 118db Next on my 2-buy list is a standard blade airbox (cheap) and hopefully mod it to fit under the Mk bonnet.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
number-1

posted on 13/3/13 at 04:13 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the replies chaps. It seems the best way to keep noise down is keep the airbox standard?

Im doing Bedford in May and they dont give second chances for drive by noise so i need to get it right!

twybrow

posted on 13/3/13 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Homemade carbon fibre airbox (much better acousticaly than aluminium). Not sure of exact dB, but it is pretty quiet - certainly quieter than the last one I made for my old engine, which was 101dB.

If you can fit the original airbox, they are normally a quiet choice!

40inches

posted on 13/3/13 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
I flipped the standard airbox, keeping it to as near as standard as possible.
Although it has got a BMC air filter fitted
Description
Description

number-1

posted on 13/3/13 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
When the airbox arrives i may have to flip/bodge it to fit. The problem i see in my head is the 2 roll bars getting in the way of the air box....The air box ive got fitted fits between these and is home made and incorporates a slight bit of ram air, which im told improves things a little at speed

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.