Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: For aircraft lovers
Jasper

posted on 2/3/13 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
For aircraft lovers

Lovely BBC programme about the Sea King helicopter as it comes to retirement:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01r1z3g/The_Sea_King_Britains_Flying_Past/

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

twybrow

posted on 2/3/13 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
I really enjoyed it - what a work horse!
morcus

posted on 2/3/13 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
My mum recorded it for me to watch later, she used to do something money related for them and said she was sad they were going.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

britishtrident

posted on 2/3/13 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
The Sea King has saved a lot of lives over the years and like the Wessex before it has done a great job absolutely every task that has been asked of it.

I used live on Cumrae on the West Bay opposite the football field that was used by the Sea Kings from HMS Gannet for pickups from the island , after the ferry guys decided they weren't getting paid enough for emergency overnight call outs (which were quite frequent because of the number of old folks homes in Millport) getting woken up in the wee small hours by a Sea King landing was quite frequent .

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

rb968

posted on 2/3/13 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Great programme.

I assumed during the show John Sergeant meant they were retiring the aircraft to replace with Merlins but then he said the squadrons were being disbanded and the Air Sea Rescue service would be privatised! Hadn't realised that...and thought it a bit shocking tbh Not sure how that's going to work!

I must have been living under. Rock for the last 2 years!

Link to proposed privatised SAR

Rich

[Edited on 2/3/13 by rb968]

morcus

posted on 2/3/13 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
Basically, people who don't know what they're talking about complain about government spending so they stop doing things as in this case. It came out of MOD budgets so a really easy way to meet the targets for cuts was to cut them. The problem is they'll then pay a private company more money to do less work (Ok that might not happen) but because it comes from a different budget it looks better on paper. I'd be bricking it if I worked at the MET office, I reckon they'll be high up on the list of things the MOD cuts.

britishtrident

posted on 2/3/13 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
Basically, people who don't know what they're talking about complain about government spending so they stop doing things as in this case. It came out of MOD budgets so a really easy way to meet the targets for cuts was to cut them. The problem is they'll then pay a private company more money to do less work (Ok that might not happen) but because it comes from a different budget it looks better on paper. I'd be bricking it if I worked at the MET office, I reckon they'll be high up on the list of things the MOD cuts.

I just work on the assumption anything the current lot do is aimed at creating profit opportunities for party donors but then again I am just more than slightly cynical.

[/I]

rb968

posted on 2/3/13 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
This started in 2005 so it's not just the current lot. Only delayed due to irregularities in the bidding process!
morcus

posted on 3/3/13 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
It goes back further than that to 91. It all stems from the idea that we don't need something right now so we shouldn't bother having despite the fact that it cost alot less to keep it than it does to scrap it and start again from scratch should we need it. The budget looks better on paper and thats all it's about, like when they harp on about charging less income tax but at the same time put up NI so your paying the same money.

On the plus side we've almost reached the point where a war between major powers is impossible because it would cost too much money as noone could risk putting equipment up against anything capable of hurting it. This does however make nuclear war more likly.

JC

posted on 3/3/13 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
All of the current military PFIs (Airtanker, MFTS, SAR to name a few) are the responsibility of the last lot, the economics are quite frankly baffling, but no surprise as they come from the same school that sold of the national gold reserve at the lowest price in decades and in 2 years ran up a greater national debt than the whole of WW2 cost! All of the PFIs are troubled - Australia dabbled with the Airtanker model for a while then went to a straight purchase instead as it was cheaper! MFTS is dead in the water and, as was said earlier, the SAR deal had to be re-bid.

It will be sad to see the Sea King go, sad to see the expertise leave the military, however, it is almost a dead cert that many of the crews will leave the forces and be employed by the civilian contractor! Fine now, but the Costs will go up in the future when the private company has to train it's own pilots. Still, that will be on another governments watch....

My point? Politicians - shoot em all!!! (Note. This is in no way meant to be an incitment to violence or to go out and actually shoot politicians)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tomprescott

posted on 3/3/13 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
It goes back further than that to 91. It all stems from the idea that we don't need something right now so we shouldn't bother having despite the fact that it cost alot less to keep it than it does to scrap it and start again from scratch should we need it. The budget looks better on paper and thats all it's about, like when they harp on about charging less income tax but at the same time put up NI so your paying the same money.

On the plus side we've almost reached the point where a war between major powers is impossible because it would cost too much money as noone could risk putting equipment up against anything capable of hurting it. This does however make nuclear war more likly.

Yep, Korea (headed by the sexiest man alive!) seems to be moving in that direction. Oh well, at least the harlem globetrotters have gone out there to, ahem, avert war.

A bird in the hand....

britishtrident

posted on 4/3/13 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
The situation in the Sea of Japan area is getting worrying, not just because of North Korea but Japan, and China and Taiwan.

[/I]

Agriv8

posted on 4/3/13 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
back to thr OP watched it transfixed. I liked the milatry version shat had a blade shot throught so the flew a spare out fited it and off they went.

ATb agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

T66

posted on 4/3/13 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Just watched this program last night, very good. The RAF/RN expertise is without competition, the depth of their training is amazing. The two RN guys on the sinking ship was complete selfless duty.

My first re-collection of a yellow rescue helicopter was a Westland Whirlwind winch training at Tynemouth Coastguard site, they actually dropped the winchy into the old Priory where I was standing with my mum (age 7).

Not long after they landed and the crewman took me onboard the helicopter for a look round, Ive been fascinated with helicopters ever since.

Now the Coastguard site is closed, and so shortly will the SAR site at Boulmer. I wouldnt like to think where the accountants will decide where to base the civvy aircraft on the North east coast, if at all. Its all about risk management, and it goes without saying that less is most obviously more, and the advances in technology allow less aircraft to cover bigger areas, for less money.

Like everything in this Great country managed by fat blokes in suits, they all get fatter, continue getting elected and continue selling us plebs turds

ps - for anyone after an excellent helicopter read for their holidays, much better than any of the Apache type books, give this one a go.

http://www.amazon.com/Low-Level-Hell-Hugh-Mills/dp/0891417192

[Edited on 4/3/13 by T66]

JoelP

posted on 5/3/13 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
The situation in the Sea of Japan area is getting worrying, not just because of North Korea but Japan, and China and Taiwan.

Yet another situation to be blamed on Russia (or more accurately, communism). All the more worrying when you think how many nations are only allies due to western wealth and technology, we will be well outnumbered in 30 years.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.