Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Catehram announce Suzuki-turbo '7, but.......
cjwood23

posted on 5/8/13 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Catehram announce Suzuki-turbo '7, but.......

...It's not the sort of Suzuki turbo you're thinking of........

Article on PH HERE and press release from Caterham HERE.

Strange choice or inspired genius??

Alway wondered why no one has turbo'd any of the 600cc bike engines and stuck them in a '7.

Chris

PSpirine

posted on 5/8/13 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Read that, I think that's an excellent choice, and is about as good a balance you can get between 21st century engines and staying true to the basic 7 concept/formula..
scootz

posted on 5/8/13 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Caterham have a large following who are not interested in balistic acceleration.

So as long as they can make it move reasonably briskly, then I think they are onto a winner! Super economical too.

I like it!

It's Evolution Baby!

steve m

posted on 5/8/13 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
I wonder how may will be bought, and then stick a more suitable 1000 cc or higher engine ?

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Ninehigh

posted on 5/8/13 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Would be interesting to see what other 7 owners think after driving one. The PH article suggests it'll have enough power for most of us really so there's probably little real world difference to pick up on

MikeRJ

posted on 5/8/13 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cjwood23
Alway wondered why no one has turbo'd any of the 600cc bike engines and stuck them in a '7.

The clutch and gearbox would be too fragile. They aren't exactly the paragon of reliability on the 1 litre engines when used in cars.

You'd also have very little torque off boost, so you'd be screaming the nads of it all the time.

Mark Allanson

posted on 5/8/13 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
The 1.0 Ecoboost is an excellent little engine, but sounds like it should be cutting grass

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

matt_gsxr

posted on 5/8/13 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

The clutch and gearbox would be too fragile. They aren't exactly the paragon of reliability on the 1 litre engines when used in cars.

You'd also have very little torque off boost, so you'd be screaming the nads of it all the time.

The only advantage of turbo 600cc might be that you could fit into a particular competition class. Say the turbo gives you a 1.4x engine capacity weighting, then you could sneak under the 1litre with a 700cc engine. No idea if it would be worth the bother though.

AndyW

posted on 5/8/13 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

Looks like they will be using a different box, as the article says a re-engineered 5 speed gearbox. Don't the bikes has 6 gears? Maybe there way of dealing with the fragile issue?

eddie99

posted on 5/8/13 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
I also get the impression its not a bike engine, but a 3 cylinder car engine developed by Suzuki with a normal box.

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
cjwood23

posted on 5/8/13 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eddie99
I also get the impression its not a bike engine, but a 3 cylinder car engine developed by Suzuki with a normal box.

It's a derivative of the engine in the Suzuki Cappucino.

Chris

rdodger

posted on 5/8/13 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
Around 80bhp and less than 500kg, so 160 hp per ton.

Not exactly mind altering.

I don't see why anyone would want one because it is economical. How many miles per year does a Catering van owner do? 3000 max?

loggyboy

posted on 5/8/13 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rdodger
Around 80bhp and less than 500kg, so 160 hp per ton.

Not exactly mind altering.

I don't see why anyone would want one because it is economical. How many miles per year does a Catering van owner do? 3000 max?

Yes but comparing it to the model its replacing, the NA 120hp 1.6, its not exactly a downgrade. I would expect it to make more than the figures and to have some torque being blown.

[Edited on 5-8-13 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

Wadders

posted on 5/8/13 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon a 600cc bike engine would be a waste of time in anything much over 300kg, even with a turbo.
iank

posted on 5/8/13 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eddie99

Yes it's a Kei car engine and gearbox based on (or just taken straight across) the RWD Cappuccino, probably designed for the Japanese market more than anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Cappuccino

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

smart51

posted on 6/8/13 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
The standard engine makes 77BHP at the flywheel and a Kei-Car-law-obeying 64 BHP at the rear wheels. The B spec engine made 120 BHP (and was used in snomobiles amongst other things). A Caterham with this engine could be quite tasty.

As stated above, the K6A engine was used in the 2nd generation Cappuccino. The first generation UK spec cars had the older F6A engine, weighed 725kg and did 0-60 in 8.2s according to Autocar. The newer engine is lighter and has more midrange torque. The Caterham is lighter still and if the get a decent power output it could be really quite quick.

ettore bugatti

posted on 13/9/13 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Some nice details for viewing in this video:

Wonder if the front uprights are from Suzuki as well.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.