Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel sender leak...HELP!
leon51274

posted on 4/6/14 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Fuel sender leak...HELP!

Morning chaps

Well its IVA day tomorrow and I thought that I would run the car down to an mot test station yesterday to check brakes and emission, all were good, apart from my full tank of fuel that had been swishing about on the back of the trailer decided to spill a bit of fuel! Not good with one day to go, so what can I do as a temporary fix? I'm really struggling with time as work commitments are silly at the mo. Could I run a small bead of sealant around the perimeter of the sender? Pic attached so you can the type of sender I have. I'm loath to start removing it in case it makes it a whole lot worse.

Any comments appreciated.

Cheers
Leon

Description
Description

lewis

posted on 4/6/14 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
I have had leaky sender for ages,tried all sorts of quick fixes in various sealants & cork none of them worked & ended up with bits of sealant in the tank where the fuel attacked it! No simple fix,I ended up welding a patch & replacing the sender with a new one in a different location,no help I know but I did not find a sealant fuel proof,maybe cover in epoxy resin for a quick fix??

I am a driving god!..........sort of

jollygreengiant

posted on 4/6/14 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
The ONLY sealant that IS petrol proof is called "PetroPatch" made by Granville. Any GOOD car accessory shop should have it, a quick search brought it up on am&zon linky dinky , (the link will show you what you ARE looking for and how much (I've used it to make repairs on rotten steel and holed tanks before now). HTH

JGG.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

leon51274

posted on 4/6/14 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
The ONLY sealant that IS petrol proof is called "PetroPatch" made by Granville. Any GOOD car accessory shop should have it, a quick search brought it up on am&zon linky dinky , (the link will show you what you ARE looking for and how much (I've used it to make repairs on rotten steel and holed tanks before now). HTH

JGG.

Do you think Halfords are likely to sell it?

corrado vr6

posted on 4/6/14 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Lower your fuel level till after the IVA
Especially if your sender is mounted at the top of your tank

http://r1indy7.wordpress.com/

leon51274

posted on 4/6/14 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by corrado vr6
Lower your fuel level till after the IVA
Especially if your sender is mounted at the top of your tank

I believe the tank has to full for iva!

leon51274

posted on 4/6/14 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
I may have just sourced some petro putty, if i was to smear this around the rim of the sender do you guys thing this would give a temp fix?
adithorp

posted on 4/6/14 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Shuld do.Ifyoucan slack off the screws first so it goes under the edge a bit moght be better... thats providing thatit'scoming from there. Sender leaks are often from the screw holesand you should have copper washers under the screws.

I once patched mine when it started leaking in the Alps by smearing metalputty stuff around it (access is difficult on a Fury) and it lasted leak free for 2 years.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

jollygreengiant

posted on 4/6/14 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leon51274
quote:

JGG.

Sorry for the late reply, but I've been asleep since the last post (I work nights). No I'm pretty sure that Halfrauds wont sell it (after a quick look/search on their web site brought up cycle helmets), but, someone like Camerons Motor Store probably would (google). Oh and if/as its cellulose based then it goes off pretty quickly and I've used it on holes where the tank was still leaking (with the supplied cloth patch) and its sealed it.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

leon51274

posted on 4/6/14 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by leon51274
quote:

JGG.

Sorry for the late reply, but I've been asleep since the last post (I work nights). No I'm pretty sure that Halfrauds wont sell it (after a quick look/search on their web site brought up cycle helmets), but, someone like Camerons Motor Store probably would (google). Oh and if/as its cellulose based then it goes off pretty quickly and I've used it on holes where the tank was still leaking (with the supplied cloth patch) and its sealed it.

No worries mate, managed to get some petro putty, seems good stuff so fingers crossed!

Angel Acevedo

posted on 4/6/14 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have in Britain something like Aircraft Spruce?
They carry some Fuel resistant adhesives.
HTH.
Angel

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.