Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: list of desirable cars to steal
02GF74

posted on 17/6/14 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
list of desirable cars to steal

Is there such a table.

Considsing an audi rs4 . Estate so i can chuck mtb in the back, drive to some remote loc and ride.

How pipular are these to steal?

I do that trip with a 20 yr. Volvo t5 with no worry as whois intsrested in such an old car.... or a volvo.

bi22le

posted on 17/6/14 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
I dont know of one.

I don know that audi S3 were considered the most stolen to order cars for a long time.

The Mk1 (if you like) were considered the fastest cars of their time.

Personally I would not worry about how wanted the car is, just make sure the keys can not be found with ease and get a wheel clamp if your that worried.

Nice cars RS4. Certainly on my lottery winning list. Im considering changing jobs and if I do I would probably get a 5 year old 2.7 A6 AMD chipped Diesel. That will be nippy!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

nick205

posted on 17/6/14 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Security on an RS4 must be reasonably good and I'd imagine you'd benefit on insurance from having a tracking device fitted anyway.

Very nice cars, was passed by a nice blue one just the other day being pedalled quite hard and thought, yup, wouldn't mind one of those instead of my rather dreary Passat.

One other thought, did you see the Chris Harris video on piston heads where he remapped his S4 for ~£400 and easily kept pace with an RS4? More low key, cheaper to buy and run and just as much fun. Could be worth considering.

[Edited on 17/6/14 by nick205]

02GF74

posted on 17/6/14 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ interesting idea, will take read. S4 about 1/2 price of rs4.

...back on topic. Quick google shows top of range bmw mercs being in top ten most stolen with range roverz in there and the audi s4/rs4 too... cant say im not surprised.

coyoteboy

posted on 17/6/14 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be leaving the keys somewhere easily available. Insurance replaces cars, not loved ones who disturb key hunting crims.

morcus

posted on 17/6/14 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
I believe for a long time the Vauxhall Belmont was one of the most stolen car but I'm guessing (Nay hope) its because it was easy.

My dad reckons there was a time when Ladas were prim targets for the steal to order brigade as the parts were valuable (and again I imagine it was easy).

I was under the impression most car theft these days involved stealing the keys so agree with the above poster. If you've got something they've specifically come to knick are they likely to give up when the keys aren't by the door, or will you be played by an actor on crime watch when they re-enact you having a kettle emptied on your head?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

iank

posted on 18/6/14 at 05:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
I'd be leaving the keys somewhere easily available. Insurance replaces cars, not loved ones who disturb key hunting crims.

While I agree to some level, Insurance companies have started refusing to pay out if they consider you didn't take care of the keys. So you can't just leave them on the table by an unlocked front door and expect to get a payout.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

philfingers

posted on 18/6/14 at 06:26 AM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine is Dog Handler for the Police. He had an 2006 S4. They tried to break into his house twice for the keys, and he had two police dogs [German Shepards] in there at the time.
if you want some some a little more low key 335d BMWs are quick, as are 3.0 TDi Quattro A4/6s too

The true home of cars born under the Sylva name - http://jpsc.org.uk/forum

STM Phoenix R1
Sold-Sylva Striker 1300xf, 40s etc
Sold-Sylva Phoenix, 1300xf, BVH, 234cam, 2xDCOE 40s, live axle - 'old school', rally car and a few bikes

nick205

posted on 18/6/14 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Here's the video...very impressive for a 5 min re-programming change with a laptop (I know there's a lot more development time gone into the map itself).

Would make for a nice lower key ride than the RS4, with some change for the petrol you'll consume

[Edited on 18/6/14 by nick205]

Irony

posted on 18/6/14 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Watched a interesting program the other day about car crime. Apparently UK car crime was so bad in the 80's - 90's that all manufacturers stepped up their security on UK cars. Apparently European cars of the same model are much easier to steal. The program suggested that modern UK cars are more of less impossible to steal without the keys. This has led to massive increases in 2-1 Crimes. Essentially thieves break into your house, steal all your stuff including the car keys and then load it up into your own car.

If you keep a desirable car on your driveway then your house security is more important than ever!

swanny

posted on 18/6/14 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
interesting thread this. i certainly considered this when looking for a quickish every day car.

the idea of having an impreza, s3, vrx parked on the drive made me a bit nervous as they seem to be a joy riders wet dream.

at the minute we live in a nice area where security inst a massive fear for most. it would have made me nervous having something like that on the drive in case it encourage some scrote into the family home looking for the keys.

paul

OliilO

posted on 18/6/14 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Apparently B7 RS4s are fairly frequently being broken into and having the interior stripped at the moment. The seats seem to be especially valuable as I believe it is impossible to buy a complete seat meaning dealers have to order all the component parts and then build them up. Leaving some RS4s written off when the interior is gone as they are then uneconomical to repair.
swanny

posted on 18/6/14 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OliilO
Apparently B7 RS4s are fairly frequently being broken into and having the interior stripped at the moment. The seats seem to be especially valuable as I believe it is impossible to buy a complete seat meaning dealers have to order all the component parts and then build them up. Leaving some RS4s written off when the interior is gone as they are then uneconomical to repair.

blimey i'll have one with no seats if anyone has one lying around...

OliilO

posted on 18/6/14 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/10703514/The-Audi-seats-being-stolen-to-order.html
coyoteboy

posted on 18/6/14 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

While I agree to some level, Insurance companies have started refusing to pay out if they consider you didn't take care of the keys. So you can't just leave them on the table by an unlocked front door and expect to get a payout.

Of course not, that would be stupidity and not keeping your car secure. But leaving them on the top out of sight of the door so they can't be lifted by pole but not hidden so they're easily found if broken into.

It's common sense. Secure your keys, but if someone is THAT determined that they'll break in for them, they won't stop at that.

02GF74

posted on 18/6/14 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
^^ ha. Was looking at one on ebay or atrader. Cat d as had news seats!!!!

May need to rethink that one.

morcus

posted on 18/6/14 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Is there also not a good chance someone will knick your non valuable replacement seats anyway? A little while ago people in the Netherlands were stealing Porsche headlights to grow weed and it was possible to take them without otherwise damaging the car or breaking in.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

02GF74

posted on 19/6/14 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy

Of course not, that would be stupidity and not keeping your car secure. But leaving them on the top out of sight of the door so they can't be lifted by pole but not hidden so they're easily found if broken into.

Have you gone all UKIP on us???

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/6/14 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
modern cars are so difficult to steal I think most joyriders just take the old bangers like mine instead

I use to live near a quarry where joyriders would torch the cars they knicked and all off them were low value old cars

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 20/6/14 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Have you gone all UKIP on us???

No, that would be Pole. I'm talking a pole you push through the letterbox to hook the keys!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.