Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rad hose joining?
RazMan

posted on 23/12/05 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Rad hose joining?

I know I've seen these somewhere but the brain has gone into 'tilt' mode so perhaps someone can help me.

I need half a dozen alloy hose joining pieces for my 32mm radiator hoses. Ideally I also need one with a 15mm take off for the heater. CBS do a bolt in jobbie but I don't really fancy drilling holes in a hose, and I'd rather get something which is made for the job.

Any pointers?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 23/12/05 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
CBS will make aluminium tubes to your specification, including T pieces of different diameters. They will even roll the edges for you so that they grip your hoses better. Their prices arn't too bad either. I bet they'll make just what you want.
mak

posted on 23/12/05 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
My motor factor "motorserve" does them , but thats in MK, i'm sure most motor factors will have them, took me a while to spot them, best thing to do is phone and ask.

And i'm pretty sure those two sizes are supplied.

Good luck

PS: "Bolt in jobbie" sounds a bit suspect

rusty nuts

posted on 23/12/05 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Rally Design's new catalogue list's them, came free with Jan PPC. magazine.
RazMan

posted on 23/12/05 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Actually since my first post I trawled around a bit and found some in various places but they all seem very expensive.
CBS will indeed make them up for me for about £8 a piece, Europa and Merlin are a bit more (but they are stainless). I can't find any mention of them on Rally Design but I bet they are the most expensive.

Maybe its just me being Scrooge-like (well, it is the season isn't it) but I just feel that bits of short alloy tube should be cheaper

*edit* I take it all back! Rally Desighn do them for £4.58

Sorted

[Edited on 23-12-05 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 23/12/05 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
32mm hose joiners from Rally Design £4.58 each +VAT , Sorry I was wrong about tee piece
iank

posted on 23/12/05 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Merlin Motorsport sell these:
http://www.merlinmotorsport.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=hose+joiner

Not cheap unfortunately.

Chippy

posted on 23/12/05 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Just buy a length of 32mm alloy pipe from your local metal dealer, and cut your own, much, much cheaper, keeps more beer tokens in your pocket.
RazMan

posted on 23/12/05 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
Just buy a length of 32mm alloy pipe from your local metal dealer, and cut your own, much, much cheaper, keeps more beer tokens in your pocket.

Ah but they will more than likely leak. The proper jobbies have ribs that seal better.

Cheers,
Raz

Mix

posted on 24/12/05 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Have you had a look at what can be made from plumbing copper capillary fittings ?

Mick

RazMan

posted on 24/12/05 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately the plumbing suppliers only keep their standard sizes - 15mm & 25mm I think. These will do nicely for the heater though.

Cheers,
Raz

Fred W B

posted on 24/12/05 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
A tip that I saw on here - If using plain ally tube put 3 or 4 pop rivets through the ally tube where the bead would be. Should work just as well?

Cheers

Fred WB

Mix

posted on 24/12/05 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Standard sizes I have at the moment are 15mm, 22mm and 28mm ID or 17mm 25mm and 30.5mm OD#

Mick

RazMan

posted on 24/12/05 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
That's a top tip Fred - I might have to try that on my two main pipes already installed. I got the length slightly wrong and had to trim the beaded ends off and I was worried about leaks.

Cheers,
Raz

RazMan

posted on 24/12/05 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mix
Standard sizes I have at the moment are 15mm, 22mm and 28mm ID or 17mm 25mm and 30.5mm OD#

Mick

Close, but no cigar I'm afraid Mick - I've ordered 6 x 32mm from Rally Design

The only thing I need now is a 32mm to 15mm tee piece.

[Edited on 24-12-05 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

britishtrident

posted on 24/12/05 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Plain aluminium alloy or steel pipe is fine even ABS plastic works. No fancy ends needed just use decent quality hose clips.

--- dosen't leak at the joints
--- won't blow off

RazMan

posted on 24/12/05 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
I tend to go on the side of caution now days. I was having a hell of a time with my turbo hoses popping off the intercooler at 12psi until I got the hose mountings beaded. After that - no problems even at 20psi.
I know that water systems don't run at those sort of pressures but I just like to use belt & braces I guess

Cheers,
Raz

NS Dev

posted on 24/12/05 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
Actually since my first post I trawled around a bit and found some in various places but they all seem very expensive.
CBS will indeed make them up for me for about £8 a piece, Europa and Merlin are a bit more (but they are stainless). I can't find any mention of them on Rally Design but I bet they are the most expensive.

Maybe its just me being Scrooge-like (well, it is the season isn't it) but I just feel that bits of short alloy tube should be cheaper

*edit* I take it all back! Rally Desighn do them for £4.58

Sorted

[Edited on 23-12-05 by RazMan]

I would just buy 3 metres of 1.25" stainless steel hygienic tube, £20 ish for the whole piece.

Danozeman

posted on 24/12/05 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
As trident says. No beads needed. Just make sure both surfaces are clean and dry before u fit the hoses.
As for the t piece could u not get a standard one and get a 15 pipe welded on?

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

RazMan

posted on 24/12/05 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DanozemanAs for the t piece could u not get a standard one and get a 15 pipe welded on?

I probably could but I am pretty sure I've seen them for sale on one of the usual suppliers' websites. No sense in re-inventing the wheel is there

I'm off to my local automotive store who stocks Gates hoses. I might find something ready made.

Cheers,
Raz

cornishrob

posted on 26/12/05 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
i was going to say that, why not buy a length of pipe? half the plumbing in one of my fiestas ended up as copper pipe.
RazMan

posted on 26/12/05 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cornishrob
i was going to say that, why not buy a length of pipe? half the plumbing in one of my fiestas ended up as copper pipe.

As I said earlier in the thread, plain pipe ends often leak or pop off under pressure so I want to have beaded ends to ensure that they are reliable.

I looked thtough the Gates catalogue at my local store - hundreds of hoses in all sorts of configurations. I've ordered a couple of useful looking ones to see if I can make them fit.

Cheers,
Raz

geoff shep

posted on 26/12/05 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
CBS do them but as you say, not cheap.

I got a reducing 'T' piece from an auto jumble stall at a show which I put into the bottom hose. It has longish narrow tube coming off the T which is stoppered with an alloy bung - which I can use to empty the cooling system where I want and not have the coolant spray all over the place.

Chris_G

posted on 26/12/05 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a top tip I picked up a while ago and used on my cooling system. Takes a little bit of time and patience but works a treat and is in the 'Locost' vain......

CLICK HERE

Chris

Now finished! Xflow-Zetec swap with GSXR TB's and Megasquirt.

RazMan

posted on 26/12/05 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent tip - thanks

Cheers,
Raz

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.